Author Topic: St Raphaels, Hill End Henbury  (Read 17442 times)

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Raphaels, Hill End Henbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have just applied for access to the National Archive records under the Freedom of Information Act. Not sure why a mother & baby home should be listed as a remand/approved school (assuming Marian House is the same as St Raphaels).

What sort of information is held on record in respect of St Raphaels at the National Archives?

Thanks

Kev

Offline August60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

The record is http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C11132741 and says it has been closed for 79 years (until 2043)  because it 'Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants'.

Not sure if Marian House is the same as St Raphaels which was at Severn House, both at Hill End, according to the little info I've found online. But at least I'll get a response. I did mention that my bm had died so the only 'distress' would be to me.

Might be worth you requesting the info also.

P.

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

The record is http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C11132741 and says it has been closed for 79 years (until 2043)  because it 'Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants'.

Not sure if Marian House is the same as St Raphaels which was at Severn House, both at Hill End, according to the little info I've found online. But at least I'll get a response. I did mention that my bm had died so the only 'distress' would be to me.

Might be worth you requesting the info also.

P.

Will do thank you

Offline JonOfWilts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jonathan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 June 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have just been to The National Archives to read file "BN 62/3236 Marian House, Hill End, Henbury, Bristol : Registration". Unfortunately the "registration" being referred to is not the registration of the girls arriving at Henbury, but is rather a technical discussion about whether Marian House needed to be re-classified as a "Voluntary Home". The file does provide interesting background on what buildings the Convent of the Good Shepherd had at Henbury in the 1950s / 1960s and what each was for. Also there are some Chief Inspector's Reports on the Institution as a whole.
In the late 1950s / early 1960s The Convent of the Good Shepherd at Henbury Bristol seemed to consist of : (1) The Convent House (2) Severn House - Mother and Baby Home (which at a point in time was renamed "St.Raphael's Home for Mothers and Babies" (3) Hostel accomodation for girls that wanted to keep their babies with them - the girls would be employed locally (4) Marian House (old building) which housed ladies over the age of 18 years of age on a long term basis (many were over 50 years of age). These includes ladies from the Good Shepherd Convent who have lived most of their lives in semi seclusion and those of "dull intelligence". Marian House was also used occasionally for girls awaiting placement within St.Raphael's and also occasionally for girls who were Approved School cases transferred to St.Raphael's from St.Joseph's Ashwick Hall.
Hope this is helpful - please contact me for further information.
CHERY

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 June 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
Good piece of work Jonofwilts, but I was also told but cannot confirm its authenticity is that the convent was first located at Arnos Court Brislington Bristol, so guessing if true then this can gain more info pre 1950's. I wish I could talk to my mother but she is messed up from years of drug and alcohol abuse so trying to extract any from her will either confuse her or turn her aggressive.

Offline JonOfWilts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jonathan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 June 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Chubby56 - There is quite a bit on the Internet about when the Convent of the Good Shepherd was at Arnos Court / Vale / Grove (all 3 variant names are common) in Bristol. Three good links are :

http://brisray.com/bristol/bbris.htm

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/4298446862

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/8499967235

CHERY

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 June 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Chubby56 - There is quite a bit on the Internet about when the Convent of the Good Shepherd was at Arnos Court / Vale / Grove (all 3 variant names are common) in Bristol. Three good links are :

http://brisray.com/bristol/bbris.htm

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/4298446862

www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/8499967235

THank you Jonofwilts that certainly was a big piece of the puzzle to find and a fascinating read, but I have been talking to my Aunt who also said there is a house in London that is linked to Good Shepherds and this is how we ended up in Bristol.

Great Stuff Cheers Mate

Offline rdenha10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 January 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev
Please get in touch, I would be happy to help.  I'm on FB and Bristol Now and Then.
Rosemary

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 January 15 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev
Please get in touch, I would be happy to help.  I'm on FB and Bristol Now and Then.
Rosemary
Hi Rose, I have posted a quick message on FB many thanks Kev