Author Topic: NewYork - Newry  (Read 808 times)

Offline shazzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NewYork - Newry
« on: Sunday 01 July 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
HI all
Can anyone tell me if there is a site  for tracing My Mum and her family From New York back to My Granddads home land of Ireland in 1934-1936?
 Thanks
Shaz
Hawkins, Insley, Hickin, Baker, Glover, Smith, Hiscox, Askey, From Staffordshire, derbyshire and Nottingham.

Murphy From Ireland.and liverpool

McArdle From Ireland and New York, USA.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NewYork - Newry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 07 14:51 BST (UK) »
I believe that Ancestry.com does have some passenger lists for that time-scale. Do you know where in Ireland the family came from?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shazzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose

my family moved back to Newry co down. I believe the year to have been 1933/1934.
I only have the uk for  Ancestry. so have not been able to look on Ancestry. com
Thanks
Shazzie
Hawkins, Insley, Hickin, Baker, Glover, Smith, Hiscox, Askey, From Staffordshire, derbyshire and Nottingham.

Murphy From Ireland.and liverpool

McArdle From Ireland and New York, USA.

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
Ancestry only has inbound passenger lists to America, I'm assuming you're looking for outbound from America, or inbound to the UK.  I have never seen any U.S. outbound passenger lists.

The only inbound UK passenger list online I'm aware of is at www.findmypast.com.  This is a relatively new site, which actually focuses on passengers leaving England, but many Irish went through England on their way to & from America.  They currently only have records to 1929 though.  (I would keep an eye on this website, as they are in the process of adding records).

I seem to remember reading that there are locations in Ireland that hold Irish passenger lists.  All were locations you had to go to in person to view the records (possibly you could write to them) & unfortunately I don't know any of them offhand.  For that information, you are better off posting on the Irish boards.

I couldn't find any Irish Newrys on the 1930 U.S. census either.  There are many Irish Nearys on the U.S. census (possibly the surname was misspelled).
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.