Author Topic: Elizabeth Jane Beavis/Bexhill  (Read 1496 times)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Jane Beavis/Bexhill
« on: Sunday 01 July 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
 Hello,

Per IGI extracted, Elizabeth Jane Beavis was christened in Bexhill on June 3, 1823.  Parents: Joseph and Mary Beavis.

I am looking for any subsequent record on her.  She does not appeare in the SMI and so far I've not found anything in the censuses or BMD.

Maybe I'm overlooking something.  I'd appreciate some extra eyes looking for her.

Thanks,

Jann

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Jane Beavis/Bexhill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jann

The only record I can find of an Elizabeth Beavis in Bexhill is a burial record on 6 June 1823, Elizabeth Beavis, age 75yrs at Bexhill St Peters.

I am presuming you know where this fits in or does it need more investigation?  I found the record on the www.familyhistoryonline.co.uk website.

I don't suppose the age could be a mistake?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for checking.

I saw the same death/burial record (posted on the Bexhill OLPC site)and I also wondered if the age could be a mistake.  Seems an odd coincidence that an Elizabeth Beavis was buried three days after an Elizabeth Beavis was christened -

My other thought was she was possibly Elizabeth Jane's grandmother but I've not been able to find a christening record for either of EJ's parents so I've no clue about her grandparents

Lack of records post christening is leading me to conclude that EJ died young, but as I said, I may be missing something.

Jann

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jann

The other option that occurs to me is that she married but the marriage does not occur on the SMI.  That is not as unusual as it sounds, it could be that she married in another county or that the marriage was just missed off the SMI.  I have found a couple of marriages myself in parish registers that are not on the SMI.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
I know it sounds obvious, but it's very easy for Beavis to become Bevis, Beeves, Beives etc... have you tried searching for her under other names? Sometimes they don't all come up using Soundex searches (I have a similar problem with Bevis!)
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've tried a number of the variations and come up blank on EJ although I've gotten information on her known siblings - with Beevis and Bevis being the most common variants for them.

Are you related to this family group?

Jann

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 07 13:07 BST (UK) »
I don't think these fit in with my Bevis lot - well, so far anyway. I have them as being in the Fyfield/Willingale Doe area of Essex but they're proving a bit tricky atm. lol. (double census returns and the like)
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex