Author Topic: Looking for origin of O'LEARY family  (Read 9866 times)

Offline BeccW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for origin of O'LEARY family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Allen

We have the same Mary Ann O'Leary married to Edward Clark on the 3 Dec 1956 at Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide and lived in the Tatiara District, Bordertown, SA.

I'm not sure if I can give you much more information regarding Mary Ann. I have been searching Mary Ann O'Leary's history for some time and despite the hours spent in the reading room nothing for her arrival in South Australia comes up in the search. I suspect she may have arrived in Australia either through Vic or NSW and then moved to SA overland as so many did during this time. Arthur O'Leary also doesn't show himself in any of the searches.

I know she came from County Cork, Ireland and was born in 1836. She died on the 16 Jan 1918 and is buried at the Bordertown cemetery on the 18th Jan. They had 10 children - Stephen, Edward, Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Harriet, William Jas, Margaret and Arther. I am descended from Stephen Clark who married Charlotte Henrietta Smith. If you are from the same line let me know, I have a lot on info on the Smith family.

Drop me a line if you like - (*)

Cheers
Bec

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dear BeccW
I am descendent of Mary Ann O’Leary and Edward Clark from Tatiara/Bordertown.
I'm trying to get information on Mary Ann O'Leary's origins in Ireland.
I have very little to go on based on my Aunty Jill Harvey's notes.

Marriage date: 3 Dec 1856.
Mary Ann O’Leary aged 19 of Currie Street, Adelaide; Father: Arthur O’Leary.
To Edward Clark. His father’s name Stephen Clark

Mary Ann Died: 06/Jan/1918 (age: ~73-85, Bordertown, SA) Alternate date: 16/Jan/1918

Very interested if you have further information.
Yours sincerely
Allen

Offline aldoaldo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bec
Thanks for the response.
I am a descendent of James Louden Clark (Jas), not Stephen, but I am pleased to know about your line.
James Louden Clark married Harriet Ellen Wilkinson 14/Aug/1890 (Bordertown, SA)
He is my great grandfather.

I'm interested in any specific information you have for Mary Ann O'Leary's birth year or anything else. I live in Ireland so might be able to narrow it down with local searches.

I'll use the personal message system to share my personal email address with you.

All the best
Allen

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 April 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.ie/interactive/61039/05001_01_0058/6189448?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.ie%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dIrelandCatholicParish%26gss%3dsfs28_ms_r_db%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26gsln%3do%2527leary%26gsln_x%3d0%26msbpn__ftp%3dcork%26msfng%3dandrew%26msmng%3dcatherine%26msmns%3dburke%26MSAV%3d1%26MSV%3d0%26uidh%3deh3&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

The birth of Hanora 1839, parents Andrew O'Leary and Catherine Burke BUT the sponsors  are Andrew  O'Leary and Johanna Burke. These are most likely the parents of Mary O'Leary b.1839...I think that the sponsor used her maiden name at this time.
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline RedLeaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 October 20 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi @aldoaldo and @beccw, I’m still trying to work it out but I think my DNA test is indicating I’m related to Mary Ann O’Leary (Clark). I know my great-grandfather was raised by one of her daughters but it doesn’t look like he was her son.

I noticed an article on Trove about her which indicates she was born c1835 in Cork. The article also mentions she came to Australia on “Northern Lights” In 1853 but I can only find that ship arriving in 1855 and couldn’t work out if she was on the passenger list.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/212854299

I noticed her shared headstone with her husband also has a “beloved brother Jack” who looked to be quite young when he died. Does anyone know anything about Jack? I can find a death record, can’t find a birth record.

These posts are quite old, but thought I’d try to reach out anyway. If you had found anything further I would be very interested.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 November 20 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Jack is sometimes a 'short ' form of John and a John b1829 has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread (Posts 5 & 7) so there may be a connection.

Offline RedLeaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 November 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Jack is sometimes a 'short ' form of John and a John b1829 has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread (Posts 5 & 7) so there may be a connection.

Thanks for that (I'm very new at this). The brother 'Jack' who shares their grave had the dates 1878-1890... but your suggestion of searching for the name John I had a death record hit with John Clark d.1890.  He seems to be Edward and Mary Ann's last child - birth record Arthur John Henry Clarke. Well that mystery is solved.  :D

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 November 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Died: 06/Jan/1918 (age: ~73-85, Bordertown, SA) Alternate date: 16/Jan/1918

The brother 'Jack' who shares their grave had the dates 1878-1890

Here's the gravestone link.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111864399/jack-clark

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo