Author Topic: British Home Child - William Allen LAYFIELD  (Read 25058 times)

Offline gemmee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Home Child - William Allen LAYFIELD
« on: Tuesday 10 July 07 02:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information or locate descendants of William Allen Layfield (Leighfield) and Walter William Layfield who were British Home Child sent to Canada in 1907. They both came out of the Manchester and Salford Boys and Girls home, and it is believed there may have been one sister who died young.  While I am not exactly sure of their birthdates, indications are that Walter was born in 1897 and William was born Dec 29, 1891. 

William returned to England later in life and re-married an Evelyn Gough.  He had two girls by this marriage-- Joan and Sylvia.   Sylvia married a Shaw gentleman; and Joan married a gentleman by the name of Chuck Zasada (not exactly sure if this is the correct spelling).   I would like to hear from anyone with information about this family.  Thanks in advance for any assistance....
Layfield, Porter, Ross, Daley, Weaver, Metcalfe, Vesey

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Child, William Allen Layfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 03:31 BST (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=92441
This may be your William transcribed as Lugfield on the 1911, as a labourer in the home of the Perrin family Cavan, Durham, Ontario...(Dec 1891 birth, imm. 1907) J..J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 03:42 BST (UK) »
and this may be Walter as a domestic in the home of the McQuade family...
1911 census of Emily, Victoria-Haliburton , Ontario...
(b. July 1896, imm. 1907)
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=127873
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 03:48 BST (UK) »
William Allen Layfield's WW1 attestation papers/ Fraserville Ont. and born in Dec. 29 1898
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc009/453089a.gif
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc009/453089b.gif

This is the right one on 1911 as it lists J.W. Perrin as next of kin...(friend)

and for Walter William (William Walter) Layfield/Leighfield- Living in Winnipeg, Manitoba lists brother as next of kin)  occ. farmer...Says born July 14th 1895, Handforth Lancashire...
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc009/453088a.gif
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc009/453088b.gif

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hello gemmee!!

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have you ordered the marriage certificate of William and Evelyn?  Perhaps it would have William's father's name on it.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 04:00 BST (UK) »

Joan married a gentleman by the name of Chuck Zasada (not exactly sure if this is the correct spelling).   

a possibilty...

Death
Name: Chuck Zasada
Birth Date: 17 Jun 1949
Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 2003
Age at death (estimated): 53 
Registration district: Cirencester 
Inferred County: Gloucestershire, Wiltshire 
Register number: 43D 
Entry Number: 87 

Sue
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Karen & Sue! Don't get on much but "Home children " caught my eye...

gemmee ...oh, yes, welcome to rootchat, meganoobie!...we'll do our best to find all we can for you. Have you told us all that YOU know?
 :D  J.J.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, some time back i was trying to find records of my relations who were places in a Salford home and then later one was sent out to Canada. Thanks to the people on this post i did manage to find his records in Canada. the only Home i could find in Salford for around that time was Manchester and Salford Boys and Girls Refuges. the address was ; No. 2 to 12 George street. Salford. i do know they were on the 1901 census. I did manage to get hold of the contract for my two relatives going in to the home. i found them at  http://www.togethertrust.org.uk/
A very kind man called Toby Davidson there helped . If you write to him tobydavison[AT]bgws.org.uk I am sure he would try and search for any records, but this may take him a little time as he is short on resource's. If your relation was sent to Canada you may also try contacing  http://www.barnardos.org.uk/
As they now hold any records of children sent out to Canada. I hope this is some use to you?
good lucky with your search
MIGKY ;)

Offline gemmee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 11:03 BST (UK) »
Wow, I'm overwhelmed already by the replies to my post yesterday... wouldn't have thought to look for Lugfield....

Had  the attestation papers for both Walter and William and noted the Perrin friend as next of kin

--- the McQuade reference is new....

If my memory serves me correctly, I think on the attestation paper for one of the brothers said parents deceased but I was told by one of Walter's daughters that birthdate on their father was wrong (too young to enlist, so lied) and that maybe parents not deceased; he possibly just didn't want to give name of anyone who might confirm a birthdate.  (BTW, Walter's family in the US knew even less than I did when I started all this)...

Couldn't find any reference to marriage of William and Ethel, Karen, so you're one up on me....... again...;)

Hmmm... WHAT ELSE DO I KNOW?  Well the gentleman at the BHC center in Ottawa did a British census look up for me for 1901 and came up with a William and a Walter in the home of a Frank and Eliza Layfield in Manchester--birthdates were off a bit, but aside from that, things *seemed* a fit..... I went on to Rootsweb and posted a query to find information/descendants of this family and got a reply from a descendant--turned out that their Walter and William were fully accounted for in England, married, kids, etc.... so not a fit at all---(Unless there was a coverup by the family).

Walter left Canada to go to the US, and I did find indications of border crossings into the US.  

Not sure if Evelyn Gough and William Layfield were actually married... the really old address in my father's address book still listed her as Gough--in Woking Surrey.  I believe she had a daughter--Wendy--before she met William (I think, Mrs David Easton). (I'm just trying to match names in the address book with some pictures that dad had--not identified very well)

With reference to Chuck Zasada, that could be a possibility-- birthdate, I think, should have been in that range, and the address in my father's address book is in Gloucestershire.

The very old address I have for Sylvia Shaw is in Oxfordshire.

That is the sum total of any factual information I might have.  I am currently awaiting receipt of a copy of William's military record---and just as soon as I figure out how to get a copy of his marriage certificate, I will be onto that as well.  I have also ordered copies of his record from the Barnardo Centre in England--they tell me the wait is 6-9 months, so I only have 5-8 months left to wait.

Thanks to everyone for your help so far... I really am overwhelmed that there were so many responses so soon... I'm used to waiting months/years for replies to queries (have been working on my mother's family for a very long time as well).  Thanks again.
Layfield, Porter, Ross, Daley, Weaver, Metcalfe, Vesey