Author Topic: British Home Child - William Allen LAYFIELD  (Read 25295 times)

Offline gemmee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Child - William Allen LAYFIELD
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 15:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noticed the notation about the Peterborough birthplace as well going through some stuff...  I mentioned it while speaking one day with one of his daughter's and she did say for sure that he was born in England....

I really am keen to find a birth certificate now---- I just found a note in the back of the *infamous* address book (it's huge and well filled!)---says that William and Walter were raised in Manchester at a Dr. Bernardos Home; age 12 when they came from the orphanage to Dr. Bernardo's.... There was one sister, she fell from a hobby horse and broke her neck.......

THEN:   "It is not known whether Layfield was the proper name."   I assumed that referred to the spelling (i.e. could be Leighfield).... the home would have to have some sort of official documentation wouldn't it to prove each child's identity... someone couldn't just decide to change a child's name when putting them into a home, could they???
Layfield, Porter, Ross, Daley, Weaver, Metcalfe, Vesey

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 16:18 BST (UK) »
Since you are new to rootschat, gemmee, you may be missing reading some postings...You only get one notification, but there may be several postings to read...I noticed you hadn't answered Karen's query, or acknowledged Indi's posting...so just to point this out if you missed them...
( I remember when I missed many, myself...probably still do...)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if they did have to prove who the child was? because nothing was mentioned to me as to proof of who the child was when i applied for there records in the Salford home? but you would think they should have asked for there birth certificates? As i have chased British paper trails they seem a bit thin on the ground so to speak. Not a lot of infomation in them. it is only when you get records from here in the UK and Canada , can you piece together the bits in between.

Migky ;)

Offline gemmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
Very good question... this is where information becomes even more sparse....A letter I received from Ethel's sister says she was born in 1905 in Portland Twsp...she died in 1936.... she had the one son by the Shultz fellow... and then 5 sons with William... my father was the oldest, and I think he was born in 1926--- so 5 kids between 1926 and 1936 and the youngest was a baby when she died.

Offline gemmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
You are absolutely right.... these replies are coming fast and furious...I can hardly keep up with them.... I'm still getting used to this  chat format.... should I be using the "insert quote" when replying to these messages.... up until now I have just been using the reply button at the bottom of the page....

Tks for the info on the border crossings, I'm guessing that $45 in those days was quite a bit of money... never heard before that he was a salesman... interesting, ex-army man turned salesman....   

Also didn't know that he was in military in US ---his family (of 7 girls and 1 boy) will be pretty interested when I get things put together for them.   Walter's wife was also an orphan, but not from England....

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi gem,

You're doing great!!  I find it just as easy to acknowledge the person's name in the reply, then they know you are talking to them  :)

If you could get the marriage certificate for William and Ethel in Ontario, that would be great, hopefully William knew who his parents were and put them down.  Ontario marriages are public up to 1925, so if your father was born c1926, maybe they married in 1925??  Each year a new year is added.

I know my library has up to 1924 for the marriage index, but not sure if they have the 1925 index yet, I'm on my way to the grocery store, and drive right past, so I'll pop in and see.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:22 BST (UK) »
Karen you are always such a gem... :D  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks JJ, you know the Home Children have special spot in my heart!!

LOL, besides, all 3 kids are home with summer holidays, so it will be nice to go to the library for some peace and quite  ;D

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 17:53 BST (UK) »
[quote author=J.J. Births Dec. Q  1898
Layfield, Walter  Chorlton  vol. 8c  page 753 The name does not seem that widely
used...Maybe they weren't registered, either...but they should be on the 1901!

a big maybe   :-\
Williams age not promising.

1901 RG13/3681 Folio 107
Frank Layfield Head 42 b Bradford, Yorkshire... iron turner filter, loco engineer
Eliza Layfield Wife 43  b Lincoln, Lincolnshire
Frank Layfield Son 12 b Openshaw
Ernest Layfield 10  b Openshaw
William Layfield Son 4 b Openshaw
James Layfield Son 4 b Openshaw
Walter Layfield Son 2 b Openshaw
Sarah A Layfield Dau 15 b Openshaw
27 Abbey St, Ardwick, Lancashire
Reg Dist: Chorlton

Sue

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives