Author Topic: Gellatly & variants (GOONS 3207)  (Read 12695 times)

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gellatly & variants (GOONS 3207)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Its been an age since I was able to access Rootschat, I have been given some information regarding my Great Grand Father JOHNSTON MORTON and his marriage to a woman who has been recorded as CLARINDA GELLATELY.  The baptism of a son JOHN in June 1855 at Ss Peter and Paul, Clonmel, however the names are recorded as JOHNSON MORTON and CLARA GREATLY, too close to be incorrect.
May be of help.
Morton - Tipperary, Longford/Clonmel Ireland
Gallatley - Ireland,
Brownbill - Liverpool, Prescot
Burberry - Dorking
Bonnyman - Elgin/Buckie/St Albans

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 December 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great-grandparents David Gellatly and Catherine Tarvit were married in 1799 at Inchture, Perthshire. Catherine was from my native village of Cellardyke in Fife, and David became a fisherman there.

Catherine's sister Elspeth Tarvit married George Gellatly at Inchture in 1796 and it seems likely that David and George were themselves related, but I can't prove it.

For various reasons, I think David Gellatly was the David born in 1777 at Moneydie, Perthshire, to Patrick or Peter Gellatly and Jean McRobie (her name is spelt Crobie on their headstone in Moneydie churchyard).

I wrote an article about my Gellatly researches, called "In Search of Gellatlys", back in the 1980s, and it was published in The Scottish Genealogist.

If anyone reading this thinks they are descended from that David Gellatly born in 1777, and he had nothing to do with Cellardyke, I would be very interested to hear from you! I'm not convinced I'm right about his parentage and have an open mind.

Harry

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 February 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative Clarinda Gallatley married to my Great Great Grand Father Johnston Morton, on 12 September 1848 in Clonmel, Tipperary, whose father was Peter Gallatley a Distiller. There is one prominent distillery near Clonmel, Marlfield Distillery which may have been somewhere he was employed. I have no information further about Peter Gallatley, do you?
Clarinda bore 2 sons to Johnston Morton, John Morton 1855 in Clonmel, Ireland and George Morton 1861 in Poulton-Cum-Secombe, (Near Birkenhead) Cheshire, she died in Liverpool in 1880, separated from Johnston but he was by her side when she died. If you have any information on Peter Gallatley I would be grateful. Thnx
Morton - Tipperary, Longford/Clonmel Ireland
Gallatley - Ireland,
Brownbill - Liverpool, Prescot
Burberry - Dorking
Bonnyman - Elgin/Buckie/St Albans

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 February 20 19:19 GMT (UK) »
They don't sound like any relation to the Scottish Gellatlys/Galletlys.

Harry