Author Topic: Houghton Hall, Cavendish, Suffolk  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Houghton Hall, Cavendish, Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 11 July 07 11:03 BST (UK) »
A little while ago (relatively speaking) someone was looking for ancestral family who lived at Houghton Hall which is just outside Cavendish on the road to Clare.

As I drove past last week I noticed a large advertising board at the entrance lane up to the Hall, it has been refurbished and will be opening soon as a Health Spa.  Having checked this morning, I found the following web site.
http://www.atlantichealthandspa.co.uk/

Hope the researcher is still subscribed to the board ?

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Apo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houghton Hall, Cavendish, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
I belatedly came across your note today.  I think I might have been the person who enquired since ancestors of mine lived here. Interesting that it was to open as a health spa. I see it was recently on the market as a 7 bedroom house for £1,225,000. I was once in correspondence with the owner (mid 90s) and he and intended to write a history of the hall. Don't know if he ever did. Thanks anyway.

Offline jallen20_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
I believe Houghton hall was owned by my G.grand father (Robert Allen) as a working farm for a period (Approx 1900-1906). Although the family lived at Greenstead hall Halstead at the time. my ref is an extract from Fox earth September 19th 1903 which quotes:-
 "A serious accident befel a gentleman named Mr Basil Allen of Greenstead Hall, Halstead, on Monday. He was returning from Houghton Hall, Cavendish, a farm which his father is the owner on a bicycle, there is a steep descent from Houghton Hall to the Cavendish road which is bounded by a gate and railings, near the bottom of the hill his handle-bars broke and Mr Allen was thrown into the railings" I suspect Houghton hall was sold on when Roberts estate was wound up after his death in 1906, Although I can find no ref of this.
Have since found confirmation that Houghton hall was part of the estate and Auctioned with Greenstead hall, The attached ref is from the Essex chronical 1 June 1906.

Offline chopkinsss

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
I live near Cavendish and have been up to Houghton Hall many times and I would like to point out that it is not the Hall which has been converted into a gym but one of the barns located near the house.

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 13:01 GMT (UK) »
My wife and I are 7C1R, the common ancestor being William Golding of Houghton Hall. He married Rose Ive in 1656, and died 1708 Cavendish. Although there is an earlier Golding of Houghton Hall, we have not yet found proof of the/any relationship to William yet.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 November 22 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I also descend from William Golding and Rose Ives. William was born c1630. Not been able to get back any further on William as of yet.

William's daughter Ann born 1666 is my ancestor. She wed William Rand.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Les_Golding

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 23 12:36 BST (UK) »
William Golding and Rose Ive were my 8x Great Grandparents. If the history of Houghton Hall was ever written I would very much appreciate a link or source reference, thank you.