Author Topic: Watchmakers of Coventry  (Read 52958 times)

Offline sutton498

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watchmakers of Coventry
« on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
does anyone have any information on the watchmakers of coventry 1841 - 1900 particularly Charles Flint. I have found out that Charles lived in Craven street coventry in 1851 and he employed 41 people. I know his house is on the coventry watchmakers heritage trail and now bears a plaque with his name on it.
Any info will be great

dawnw
sutton swindon,everton dudley,parnaby durham,flint coventry,wilcox coventry.Mcrobb aberdeen.adams aberdeen.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: watchmakers of coventry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World volume 2 by Brian Loomes lists: FLINT, Charles, Coventry 1854-1880.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmakers of Coventry
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
I bought a booklet on the subject from Coventry Archives some time ago. Part of the Coventry Through Time series it is part 13 and called Past Timers by E.Castle and C.Kennedy. Although not mentioning Charles Flint it does paint a good picture of the watch industry in the 1800s and does list some of those involved. You mention Craven Street and in the booklet it says Mr J Parker in March 1853 built two houses and a workshop there. Apparently the Board of Health had to pass plans and I presume the record of meetings is still available to be seen as it says that last entry was in 1857 and was for one house in Craven street, builder Mr Hedger. I am sure Coventry Archives would be able to help you.   

Offline sutton498

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
i have tried today to get a copy of the book that aghadowy mentioned oday from the library unfortunately they dont have a copy does anyone know where i can get one from

inreply to al in vane hopefully going t coventry archives soon so will see if i cn get copy from there

Dawn
sutton swindon,everton dudley,parnaby durham,flint coventry,wilcox coventry.Mcrobb aberdeen.adams aberdeen.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 17:01 BST (UK) »
i have tried today to get a copy of the book that aghadowy mentioned oday from the library unfortunately they dont have a copy does anyone know where i can get one from
If you wish to see the book, ask your local library to either get it for you through interlibrary loan service or to find out where it might be in your area.

Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World volume 2 by Brian Loomes lists: FLINT, Charles, Coventry 1854-1880.
However, there are no more details in it for Charles Flint other than what I posted earlier.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 07 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Dawn

just noticed your mail on watchmakers, sorry but I dont have any information on watchmakers but am very interested in your Flint research. I am researching my husbands family SANDERS of Coventry.His GGrandparents were Henry Sanders and Harriett Flint who was born abt 1881, this is all the information I have on her at the moment and wondered if you have come across a Harriett married to a Sanders ?  any information would be appreciated.
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline sutton498

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 20:43 BST (UK) »
hi Cog
i havent been able to link your harriet Flint to my flints.I do have a Harriet but she is older. I will continue to search and if i find out anything i will let you know. I have found the birth record for
Harriet Flint Mar 1883 Coventry 6d 545
and the marriage
Henry Sanders and harriet Flint June 1904 coventry 6d 834
If Icould find out harriet parents name i might beable to link them
hope this helps
Dawn

Offline sutton498

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
hi cog
i have found out that harriet lived in Spon street, coventry in1901.With her mum Ann and bro ernest.

I believe Ann was married to Charles flint but trying to confirm this. I have loads Charles in my tree. So its a possibility that your harriet Is related to the flints that I am researching,just need totry and confirm this
Dawn

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn

have replied via Roots in case anyone else finds this site helpful
www.huminex.net/warwick   it gives pages and pages of information and absolutely loads of marriages  for the area of Holy Trinity giving details of address, witness names, fathers name a site well worth looking at.  I found this one amongst others, which is in our charts

3/8/1884  Marriage of Annie Flint age 19 spinster address 58 New Buildings,

Father - Charles Flint, Watchmaker

Groom - Alfred Samuel Feltham age 22, bac, machinist
Grooms Father - William Feltham, watchmaker, 45 New Buildings

Witness - Samuel Elliott and Elizabeth Elliott

interesting stuff

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island