Author Topic: Watchmakers of Coventry  (Read 52960 times)

Offline Debs1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmakers of Coventry
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 16 January 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am researching my family of Watchmakers living at 29 Spon Street in 1841 - Joseph Brown.  This family was also connected to the Furneaux family also Watchmakers from Clerkenwell London.  Would appreciate any connections from other researchers please.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you visited the museum on Spon Street? Or is it called Old Spon Street now, not sure. I live nearby.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Debs1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 28 February 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion - I am aware of Spon Street but didn't know about the museum - will make time to visit at some point when I am in Coventry.

Offline annijac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:26 BST (UK) »
Danum 40 thank you for your reply about my great g g grandfather watch dial you said you could send me pictures of his watch dials I have only just read this post I would really like to see them, I have already looked at the ones in the V & A museum, which are quite impressive.

Offline KinFused

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 11 March 19 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I am also related to the Battings.. They were watchmakers, springers, and liners.  The one that moved to American designed two wedding rings for sisters.

I would like to know more about Joseph Batting who was born 1786 and died in 1850.- who is parents were.

My g.g.grandfather Joseph Thomas Batting was a watchmaker, dial painter and finisher, from Spon street Coventry in the 19th century his family were also involved in the business, has any one any information on him, I would be made up  if I could  find anything about him

Offline colinames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 30 November 20 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I too am researching the Furneaux family originally from Clerkenwell London and who moved to Coventry.  My great grandmother was Emilie Isabel Furneaux - daughter of William Furneaux - his father Thomas Furneaux was the brother of Lewis Furneaux.  I am also intrigued as to why they left London and for more general information about the family particularly Samuel Furneaux born 1765 in London but for whom I have no further information.
Debs ,
I am in contact with a person whose grandmother is Emilie Isabel Furneaux, who remembers Isabel vaguely as the person was only 9 when she died, but is much more knowledgeable of George. The person lives in Leicestershire. I can place you in contact with him if you wish.

Offline Gypsy Scholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 15 January 22 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi DeniseJo
I realise that your original offer to check for family names was made quite some time ago and much has happened since then, however if you are still out there and willing and able, I wonder if you could tell me if there are any of the name of Dent, Agin (Agen), Hetherington, or Kitchin (Kitchen) on the list of watchmakers. I know that the name of Dent has some significant watchmaking history, but am seeking to establish whether there was any connection to Coventry, particularly prior to 1850s.
Many thanks for your offer.
Gypsy Scholar
Dent:Warwickshire
Burgar, Reid, Setter, Hughes/Hughison:Papa Westray  and Westray Orkney
Gorman:Antrim
Cholmeley:Isle of Wight and Hampshire
Daeth/Death: Burton Latimer
Beasley:Warwickshire
Toll:Cornwall
Clark: Devonshire
Scott: Dumfries and Galloway
Mitchell: Tipperary
Sims/Shipman: Wiltshire
Homfray: Worcester

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 16 January 22 09:03 GMT (UK) »
DeniseJo hasn't logged into Rootschat since 2012.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=80084
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stormi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 24 June 22 14:32 BST (UK) »
DeniseJo hasn't logged into Rootschat since 2012.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=80084

That's a shame, I noticed she was talking about her 3rd great grandfather Charles Beauchamp and realised we must be related. Was going to send a message. I have Coventry watchmaking Beauchamp & Windsors in my tree.