Author Topic: JEWELL and SPRY St. Genny's  (Read 2241 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
JEWELL and SPRY St. Genny's
« on: Friday 13 July 07 01:16 BST (UK) »
I went through the Free Cen site and pulled all Jewells and Sprys from Marhamchurch and St. Genny's.  While there were families with many members in 1851, by 1871 and certainly by 1881 they were all gone.  Thomas Jewell in particularly had 350 acres in Rosecare...gone.  I have begun checking Ontario, Canada as I know Jewells and Sprys were there.  One thing I found that was most interesting...

The first name of Loveday...an unusual name and sprinkled throughout the different Jewell lines and Sandercock....just out of curiousity, would anyone know where this first name came from?

After going through the households for Rosecare Hamlet...I may just construct a village...my students next year might like something like that...

Thanks again to this site!! The brick walls came tumbling down...

Sharon K. Spry
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewells and Sprys St. Genny's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 07 01:44 BST (UK) »
The ancient and interesting surname Loveday is of Anglo Saxon origin-it derives from the Olde English pre 17th c "leaf",(beloved) with "daeg" (day). Leofdaeg, written as "Loveday" in Middle English, was a popular female given name in medievil times and several early examples of the surname may derive from this source.
"Leuedai" and "Liuedai" (without surname) appear in the Domesday book of 1086 for Somerset, and a Uveday Bidua was noted in 1205 on Curia regis Rolls of Northumberland,
Loveday, wife of Robert Christemasse was entered in the subsidy rolls of Suffolk.
The forename remained popular in Cornwall right through to the 19th century.
The register of St Columb Major Church, Cornwall :
Lovdie Jenkin 1578
Lowdy Trekeene 1622
Loveday, wife of Thomas Vivian 1768

Received this information from a librarian friend a few weeks ago -can't remember why I needed  the information, but at least it has been useful today!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 07 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you...facinating bit of history...good thing both my daughters are grown and named...one of them would have ended up, Loveday...

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 07 15:45 BST (UK) »
When you know the meaning , it suddenly becomes a beautiful name to describe how you feel at the time of the birth of a daughter.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
Most definitely...even if her hair was so fine it stood up straight for months!!

Sharon

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Re: JEWELL and SPRY St. Genny's
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clazey

If you're still about, what can you tell me about your Loveday Jewell?!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England