Author Topic: Italian' s in England  (Read 11889 times)

Offline sheronb

• RootsChat Senior
  • nan 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Italian' s in England
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 April 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
Gillian, there are very little records of ppl arriving in this country.If any, maybe on the National Archive website, but I find this very hard to naviagate! My own Great grandfather arrived much earlier, in 1895, and I found this info, on his Alien Registration card form the 1st World War, this was at the West Midland Police Musesum. Maybe there is something similar for WW2? Sorry I can't be of more help.
Larden/Cecil-Birmingham/lichfield/halesowen<br />Lombardozzi-Sora-Italy<br />Tuzi/Tuzio/Tuzzio- Sora-Italy/birmingham,
La Rocca/Tersigni/Lancia-Sora-Italy
Farrell/Battle-Ireland/Birmingham
Polsinelli/Gismondi-Sora-Italy<br />Heffer/Turner-Bristol-Frampton cotterell<br />Dean/skinner-Huntley,gloucs<br />Hinkley-Aston-Juxta-Birmingham<br /><br />Mchale/Oldbury/Ireland<br />Hinton/Smith/Carter/Hercules-Worcestershire.

Offline soc63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Italians in England
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 April 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi SheronB !

Can you give me a hint where to look for very early immigrants from the later Italy ? (preferably online without having to travel to London).

I'm researching  Giovanni Torriano (who wrote this famous Select Italian Proverbs in English). His father (Alexander T., Italian priest who converted to protestantism and married in Geneva) fled from Toscany around 1620 via Geneva to London.

My questions: When did they arrive in England ? Who was his mother ? Who was his grandfather / where in Toscany did they come from ?

Regards,

Sven

www.slaktforskning.carlsson.at

Offline sheronb

• RootsChat Senior
  • nan 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 April 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sven!!!

gosh you are talking very early on!!! I doubt you will find anything on his arrival in England, unless any parish records, hold any info, or you can obtain any documents, maybe try the National Archive website. As for details of his family, again, unless you find any info on the PRs, you will have to go/contact Tuscany for info, nothing online,I'm afraid!

I suggest you join this forum:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/index.php

They are the experts, and will be able to help you.
Larden/Cecil-Birmingham/lichfield/halesowen<br />Lombardozzi-Sora-Italy<br />Tuzi/Tuzio/Tuzzio- Sora-Italy/birmingham,
La Rocca/Tersigni/Lancia-Sora-Italy
Farrell/Battle-Ireland/Birmingham
Polsinelli/Gismondi-Sora-Italy<br />Heffer/Turner-Bristol-Frampton cotterell<br />Dean/skinner-Huntley,gloucs<br />Hinkley-Aston-Juxta-Birmingham<br /><br />Mchale/Oldbury/Ireland<br />Hinton/Smith/Carter/Hercules-Worcestershire.

Offline soc63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 April 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Vielen Dank - molto grazie - thank you ;)

Offline kathfen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 April 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have found a Giovani Tarini/Torini born 1844 from Italy on the 1871 census, married to a Annie with sons Giovanni R. born 1868 & Giuseppe A. born 1870/71 Is this to late for your Giovanni?
Lazzari & Ladzrie, Newcastle upon Tyne, Italy
Ray, Cumberland & South Shields Durham
Pomery, St. Neots, Liskeard

Offline soc63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 April 08 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kathfen, but that's more than 200 years too late ...

I suppose that this Giovanni Torriano "founded" the whole Torriano dynasty in  England, traces of them are found in India, Ceylon, South Africa, Canada, Australia and ... Germany.

Your Torini are from Italy of the 19th century, so they are really Italian...

"My" Giovanni T. edited one of the first English-Italian dictionaries (Florio-Torriano), and he might have been close to Shakespeare too.

Regards from Hamburg,

Sven

Offline johnrousdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 May 08 17:33 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across a de Core family who originated in Italy.

Michael de Core (fish salesman) married an Alice Holland in 1906 and named his father as Michael de Core (fruit grower) (Deceased).

He could not sign his name and was similarly handicapped when he joined the army in 1918 at which stage he still described himself as "Italian", occupation - "cook".

Offline Ladyissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 May 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Wimk

I am interested in the surname Cavaliero/Cavaliere living in (possibly Kempston) Bedford area during the 1950's.  May have worked at London Brick Company/Marsten Valley Brick Company.

I would appreciate any snippet of information.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

Isobel
Shanks - Northern Ireland/ Kilwinning/Australia/Canada/New Zealand/America
Warden - Northern Ireland
McWhinny/McWhinney/Mawhinney - Northern Ireland/New Zealand
Caldwell - Northern Ireland/Southern Ireland
Rodgers - Northern Ireland/Kilbirnie Scotland
Glasgow - Northern Ireland/Kilbirnie Scotland
any many more surnames

Offline sbradster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi this is my first time - I was surfing the net looking for my dad's surname when I came across honey-roma88's entry and this speaks of my parents - Tony and Bobbly Bradshaw. What else do you know? Both my parents have now passed away. What is your interest in the family line?