Author Topic: 1881 Earl st., Longsight/Gorton  (Read 13992 times)

Offline 0rinoco

• RootsChat Senior
  • ggg Uncle John Artus (seated)
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Earl st., Longsight/Gorton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 July 07 08:11 BST (UK) »
Many years ago, as a schoolboy, I had cause to visit a classmate in Earl Street, Longsight, and if my memory serves me right there was a railway viaduct at the rear of it. I remember having to go from Stockport Road via Grey Street to reach Earl Street. I lived in Tennyson Street, C-on-M at the time, and it was a fair old walk. :)
Artus, anywhere UK
Gabb, Glos.
Wathern, Glos.
Littleton, Glos.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 July 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
How about this one?
Going across the 'N' of 'LONGSIGHT' .  Stockport Rd is the main road below it and you will find Kirkmanshulme Lane easily enough on a modern map.
Don't know how old the map is that I got this from but it cost 1/6!!  :)  1940s?  The railway yards are there, as Orinoco says.  It was seeing Lime Grove on Migkys extract that rang bells for me.
One day we will all bump heads, wandering along Stockport Rd looking at old maps.....
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbrah, was your map 1 shilling and 6 penny's or just 6d? the black and white one i have frome i think the 1960's was 1s/6d.

Here are some links for longsight and levenshulme

http://manchesterhistory.net/LONGSIGHT/homeopen.html

http://www3.telus.net/public/nixonkg/

Migky ;)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 07 12:06 BST (UK) »
It is one shilling and sixpence, Geographia Map of Central Manchester. Folds out into smallish sheet & has a street index so very useful.  Those links are brilliant for pictures, Ive seen the longsight one before but not the Levenshulme one.
Ooh Migky if you have a 1930s directory I'm about to post a request for Cheetham & Harpurhey! Shan't hijack this post but please look out for it? Thanks,
Barbara

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 07 15:44 BST (UK) »
Migky,

Thanks very much for the label & directory info.  Maybe that's where my gran got her liking for a glass of "Makeson's"?

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

Many thanks for the street map image.   Could I be cheeky and ask if Ducie Street is anywhere on the your map?  From info received I'm guessing that it's probably already gone by the date of your map.  I thought it was opposite Royd St., about where Dillon Street is.

Ta Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
No Ducie St on the map, but there was a Ducie Arms pub somewhere along there until about the late 1970s.

Ive just found Ducie St on an 1895 map in a book (my dear old 'Longsight Past & Present' that I have quoted before on rootschat!) I think Dillon St and Ducie St are the same, been renamed at some point.

Sometimes when this happened the council would put the two name plates up on the street. I may be imagining it but I can vaguely see 'Dillon St late Ducie St' in my minds eye. I would have seen this many times from the top of the 92 bus - if I'm not imagining it - can anyone confirm?

I'll try & reproduce the map if you like but will have to be in a couple of hours, I have to take my youngest to swimming lesson.

Thanks for PMs Migky, I'll be back in touch soon!

Barbara

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 July 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

I remember the 92.  Although now down in Worcestershire, I used to live in Reddish and Heaton Moor.  Can just remember trolley buses, but not the trams.

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
I don't know why it got changed to bus number 192! Can't remember trolley buses on that route but there were still a few going out of Piccadilly when I was very young  :).  Present day Piccadilly, argh what a mess.. anyway, here is the 1895 map extract of Ducie St, I think it has to be the same as Dillon St.  I wonder if somewhere there is an archive that lists street name changes, it would be very handy.