Author Topic: Harling in Southwark & Lambeth  (Read 767 times)

Offline signgilder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Harling in Southwark & Lambeth
« on: Monday 16 July 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
For many years I have been unable to determine the parents & siblings, if any, of MARY ANN SOPHIA HARLING.  She is my 3rd great grandmother, born 1 Jan 1815 in Southwark (according to family bible).  She married JOSEPH CHEETHAM, 3 Apr 1836 at St. John the Evangelist, Lambeth.  She died 8 Dec 1897 at Holborn Workhouse, residence at that time Richmond Road, Hoxton New Town. 
(There is also a marriage of WILLIAM HARLING & MARY FRANCIS in the same church, 29 Jan 1832, and I've wondered if this might be a sibling).
Does anyone researching Harlings in the area have any idea where Mary Ann Sophia fits in? 
I have a database on RootsWeb World Connect under the title "islandqueen", for reference.
Thanks for any replies.
Wayne, Ohio, USA.
HAINES/HAYNES-Richard & family, Aynhoe, Northhamptonshire to America, 1682
CHEETHAM-Possibly Manchester to London area, then to America, 1869
BORRETT-Suffolk (Sudbury?) to London area, esp. Greenwich
GARDNER & variations-Chelsfield, Kent
WOOLGAR-Sussex to Kent
GOODHEW-Chelsfield, Kent
BIRCH-John, son of Charles, b.1853 in Reading, to America 1889
ASKAM-Knottingley, Yorkshire; Sarah Ann, dau. of Joseph, mar. John Birch, to America, 1889

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harling in Southwark & Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 13:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have the birth certificate of one of the children or a copy of the original marriage to check that she was indeed nee Harling and not previously married for a short time? I had this happen - first marriage at 18 (using middle name as first name), husband died same year of tuberculosis, remarried using his name but then never mentioned she'd been previously married on her children's birth certificates like she should - took me ages to sort her out.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline signgilder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Harling in Southwark & Lambeth
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input, and I've had a similar thing happen with another ancestor.  However, in this case both sources you suggest state her maiden name was Harling.  In fact, a cousin in Australia has a sampler made by Mary Ann around age 12 which carries the surname Harling. 

It was very kind of you to take the time to reply, and I wish you luck in your future research.

Wayne, Ohio, USA.
HAINES/HAYNES-Richard & family, Aynhoe, Northhamptonshire to America, 1682
CHEETHAM-Possibly Manchester to London area, then to America, 1869
BORRETT-Suffolk (Sudbury?) to London area, esp. Greenwich
GARDNER & variations-Chelsfield, Kent
WOOLGAR-Sussex to Kent
GOODHEW-Chelsfield, Kent
BIRCH-John, son of Charles, b.1853 in Reading, to America 1889
ASKAM-Knottingley, Yorkshire; Sarah Ann, dau. of Joseph, mar. John Birch, to America, 1889