Author Topic: Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851  (Read 15610 times)

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 July 07 21:00 BST (UK) »
jap
I have Duncan KEIR on 1841 aged 70 (with his wife & children) -  not of this county. By 1851  Duncan has died. The information you give about Duncan KEAR could be correct. If Duncan had married before would I be able to find this from Scotlandspeople?

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again janetmills,

That is a very important piece of information i.e. that Duncan is recorded in the 1841 census as born in Scotland but not in Stirlingshire!  (Although this might be a trap - parts of Kippen were at times recorded as being in Perthshire.)

The more information you provide, the more likely it is that someone might be able to help you.

However, unfortunately, you might have reached a brick wall.  Far from all births/baptisms or marriages are recorded on ScotlandsPeople or in the IGI.  And even if Duncan's birth/baptism and/or a previous marriage are recorded on SP, how would you know you have the correct one?  In the IGI, there are several births/baptisms for a Duncan KEIR (however spelled) in 1770 +/- 10 years.  One of them might be your Duncan but how to tell?  And there are quite a number of marriages 1800 +/- 20 years of a Duncan KEIR (however spelled); one of these might be yours but how to tell?

Have you viewed the OPR entry for the marriage of Duncan & Janet STEWART in 1820?  It might say nothing more than is in the IGI but one doesn't know until one looks.

Are there any surnames used as middle names which appear in the children of Duncan & Janet or their descendants?

Were Janet and the children still in Drymen in 1851?

As well as looking for MIs in Drymen and Kippen, it might be worth a look in Buchlyvie near Kippen (in case they were of, or had changed to, the secessionist church there).

Sorry to be pessimistic.

JAP

Offline kimby392

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 July 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
hello, i dont know if this will help in any way but i have keir on my tree from around drymen and kippen area, i have a andrew kier mar: jane stewart andrew born kippen abt 1874 parents james keir and elizabeth dun.  if this is ur line i have more info i can give you.

hope this helps

regards kimberley

Offline tokomaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 01:06 GMT (UK) »
To Janetmills,
I was very interested in your query regarding Duncan KEIR born c1770. We have a Duncan KEAR born 25 March, 1770 in Port of Menteith, son of Finlay KEAR and Janet McFEAT, who are myG.G.G.G.Granparents.
Regards, Murray

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if your Duncan Kear married a Janet Stewart? My maiden name is KEIR but over time I suppose it could have started off spelt differently. 

Offline tokomaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
Unfortunately I cannot tell you whether Duncan, oldest son to  Finlay and Janet McFeat married Janet Stewart, I have looked through my records and the only information I have on  Duncan is from the Perth Parish Register as follows -
1770 March 25 Duncan  son to Finlay KEAR and Janet McFEAT in Glenny.
I have information on Finlay's other children.
My line comes through Finlay's 2nd son Walter Keir and my surname is keir.
I have noticed a pattern on the naming of the children in our Keir families and would like to know the children's names of your Duncan Keir and Janet Stewart, from oldest to youngest child.
There appears to be two Duncan Keirs, both  married in Dryman that could be the son of Finlay and Janet; or Duncan Keir was married twice.
The first to Elizabeth McFarlan 1801 and the second to Janet Stewart 1820.
Regards Murray.

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 November 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Duncan KEIR c1772
Janet STEWART (b 9/may/1792)
Married 8/jan/1820

CHILDREN
Duncan 28/april/1822, Alexander 20/march/1824, John 2/january/1826, Finlay 7/december/1827, James 17/september/1829, Jane 23/november/1833.

Have birth Certs for all. Also have other information.

There is a large age differnce between Duncan and my Janet so he could well have been married twice.

Offline tokomaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 November 08 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
My Walter Keir was listed on the 1851 census as "Farmer of 40 acres" born at Port of Menteith in 1772. He married in 1798 at Drymen, his 4th son was named Finlay. Walter died in 1852, at Port of Menteith.
I would think if your Duncan born 1770 is Finlay Kear & Janet McFeat oldest son, he married late, having sons named Duncan, John & Finlay etc. Perhaps he looked after the family farm before his father died.
If he was married before, he most probably had daughters or a son named after his wife father as he wouldn't duplicate the names of Duncan & Finlay.
Perhaps we could find out when Finlay KEAR died and where he was buried, probably Drymen. A Monumental Inscriptions  might find out more of Finlay's family (All the children names you list are in our family too.)

Offline cyberbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for my ancestors, my grandfather was James Keir, born approx 1904 and was from Port Of Menteith son of Duncan Keir, i believe born approx 1869 and his father i have found was James Keir , born around 1831 and his mother was Elizabeth Dunn. Seeing Duncan Keir and Walter Keir mentioned that they are from Port Of Menteith suggests that there is a relation somewhere, i am not sure if it is direct though. My Surname is Keir. I would love to know if  my G.G grandfather was related in someway, especially if direct ancestors. I am stuck.

Donald