Author Topic: Emigrants to US -- Hargreaves / Turner  (Read 3203 times)

Offline steve-o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emigrants to US -- Hargreaves / Turner
« on: Sunday 12 December 04 05:35 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother Beatrice Hargreaves was in Massachusetts in 1908 when my mother was born.  Beatrice was in Clitheroe in 1901 age 21 living on Taylor street.  She married James Turner either in England or in US after arrival..I do not know.  I also do not know what ship she sailed on and when.  Nor do I know where her ship landed.  Can anyone help? ???
Hargreaves   O'Flaherty
Turner            O'Connell
Williamson
Whittaker

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to US -- Hargreaves / Turner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 December 04 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Your could try Ellis Island.  Many came through this port in NY.  Here is the link. It is free to search and register.
http://www.ellisisland.org

Do you know Beatrice's age?  It will help in the search.  There is someone in 1903 who looks promising if you knew her DOB.

First Name: Beatrice
Last Name: Turner
Ethnicity: England, English
Last Place of Residence: Malvern
Date of Arrival: October 31, 1903
Age at Arrival:  36y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M   
Ship of Travel: Etruria
Port of Departure: Liverpool
Manifest Line Number: 0023

Any way, happy searching. Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline steve-o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 04 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the tip to Ellis Island.  I tried it, registered, and found my Grandfather!!  He arrived in 1903 with his Aunt.  But not married at that time.  So Grandma came later on.  This agrees with family lore which says he went back to England and then returned with wife.  Still searching. :)
Hargreaves   O'Flaherty
Williamson
Whittaker

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 04 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help in some way.  Please let  me know if you find out more and I will see what I can do! ;)
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline steve-o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 04:11 GMT (UK) »
I will be darned if I didn't find more.  On my grandfather's side i found my great grandmother, my great grandfather, and their two children--my two grand aunts.  That ellis island search and original manifest is absolutely beautiful.  to summarize briefly, grand father arrived 1/18/1903 on the Lucania traveling with his mother's sister.  His parents and his two half sisters (I think he was adopted) arrived on april 15, 1904 aboard the Cedric.  What is interesting and previously unknown was that Great Grandfather was arriving at his sons house in south lawrence, mass.  I did not know he had a son.  But I had heard that he had a previous marriage and he was a widower.  Thanks for the ellis island tip.
Hargreaves   O'Flaherty
Williamson
Whittaker

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 December 04 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help out!  Ellis Island has the best website.  It is also a great place to visit.  Very awe-inspiring to think of all the immigrants who came through that port.  I get goosebumps when I think of walking on the same ground as all my ancestors who came to America.

Offline steve-o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 06:44 GMT (UK) »
latest information is that james leo turner was born out of wedlock.  according to my second cousin,  James was the natural son of Jane alice turner and his father was east indian.  not adopted as was previously assumed. Next i would love to find the date of his marriage to Beatrice Hargreaves.  The problem I have had so far is that they were catholic (i assume since they practiced catholic in the usa), and i do not know how to find catholic marriage information.  Also there does not seem to be many catholics in clitheroe.
Hargreaves   O'Flaherty
Williamson
Whittaker

Offline steve-o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 January 05 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I love reporting successes!  I have found grandfather's birth certificate, and where to order it.  I also found marriage record and where to order the certificate.  Source was lancashirebmd.com  a wonderful site.  Thanks to the person who recommended I try it.

So now I know that since my mother was born in Massachusetts USA in August 1908 and her parents were married in 1907 in clitheroe, they had to emigrate to the USA in 1907 or 1908.  But no record of their travel is found in the ellis island site.  My conclusion is that they must have arrived in some other USA port...probably Boston.  Now I am trying to find a source of boston arrivals.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Thanks again.
Hargreaves   O'Flaherty
Williamson
Whittaker