Author Topic: Easdale Island Folk Museum - closed?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Easdale Island Folk Museum - closed?
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 19:31 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Easdale Island Folk Museum is still open? I looked at their website some time last year - I was particularly interested in the archives mentioned and their focus on genealogical research.

But their domain name www.easdale.co.uk has been seized by domain-name squatters, and www.slate.org.uk doesn't work (there were links to these from web sites like www.visitscotland.com and www.aboutbritain.com)

Also, if anyone has been there, what kind of genealogical resources do they have? I'm off to Scotland in a couple of weeks and was thinking of going there.

Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Re: Easdale Island Folk Museum - closed?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 07 18:30 BST (UK) »
I've just spoken today to someone from the Slate Islands Heritage Trust on Easdale. They have a museum, which is different from the Easdale Island Folk Museum, but both are on the island itself.  The Slate Heritage museum is the one with the archives of genealogical interest.

Unfortunately, neither of these museums have a working web site at the moment - and they appear to have let their domain names lapse. But both are still open.
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Easdale Island Folk Museum - closed?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 07 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi David, I visited Seil a few years ago and found it well worth while. The abandoned quarries with their cottages were a most poignant reminder of the various lives our forefathers lived - mine was a grieve on Easdale. They have the censuses transcribed, but they are I think now available online. Have a good time. The area has much for the eye.

Guid hunting,

Thrall