Author Topic: oldest ancestor in photograph  (Read 11311 times)

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: oldest ancestor in photograph
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 November 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I am so envious of all you lucky people that have photographs of your ancestors!!
I have one (scanned) photograph of my paternal grandmother (circa taken 1943), she was born in 1884.  None of my paternal granddad and none of my maternal grandparents!  So just be sure to take good care of them for your future generations!  Grr! Grr!  (only kiddin')!

Bill

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 November 10 21:05 GMT (UK) »
What lovely photos of ancient (as in long gone) rellies.   glad this thread has resurfaced -   I'm going searching now - I'm inspired!

found one!    This is my Great great grandmother - and I'm guessing taken about 1860's or 70s but that is my guess, not that of experts.  Born 1822 so . . . .

She is the Grandaughter of a Marine guarding convicts of the first fleet arriving in Australia 1788 and she married the son of a convict from the third fleet arriving 1791.   Her parents were the son of the marine of the first fleet and the daughter of a convict from the first fleet, and a convict of the second fleet.    She's VERY WELL connected!!!    ::)  ;)  ;D ;D

Wiggy   :)

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
This is a great thread. I love all of the old photos! Sadly I have very few photos of my ancestors beyond my Grandparents but I do have a very aged-looking photo of my GGG-Grandfather Thomas Rhodes. It was taken in 1884 in Newcastle, Staffordshire when he was 53. He was a bricklayer by trade as his clothing shows.
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Why not drop these on the "Restore" board?

I'd love to have try.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 December 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
On Anc I just found a cousin who has uploaded a pic of an ancestor born in 1848.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline flaggysmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
hi
Old photo's are great to look at especially if they give a glimmer of the life our ancestors had.
The attached is not a photo but a wood painting said to be of my wife's GGGGGf Richard Nethercote 1775-1820 does this count or did it have to be a photo??
and for Christmas I would like a window on yesteryear so that I could look at the lives my ancestors lived and not just have b,m,d details and a few references in trade directory's.

Merry Christmas to you all and thanks for all your kind help you have freely given in the past

Ian

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 December 10 00:27 GMT (UK) »
The oldest photo I have is of my 3xgreat grandparents with my 2x great grandmother as a child, taken 1871 in Dundee.  However I do have a slightly later photo, a quite worn tin type from the  1880's, which shows my 4xg grandmother (lived 1817-1906), which generationally speaking trumps the earlier one!

Actually reading the other posts here I realise I am relatively lucky, going through my tree I have

6 out of my 8  great grandparents
9 out of my 16 2xgreat grandparents
6 out of my 32  3xgreat grandparents
1 out of my 64 4xgreat grandparents

The last of my 5xg grandparents died in 1884, the last of my 6xgreats died in 1869, so I suppose it is not theoretically impossible that one day I may even get further back, but given a choice though I'd rather find photos of the 2 missing great grandparents , but not complaining, as I say consider myself lucky to have as many as I do, and blessed to have been able to share them with wider family across the world.

EDIT:

Here are the photos in question:

This is the oldest, 1871, Dundee, (It was coloured by a clever soul on one of these boards, I couldn't do it being colour blind, but looks great to me). The little girl with the Celtic Cross round her kneck is my g-g granny Holohan. The standing man, and the seated lady his hand is resting on my are my 3x g grandparents. They were both born in Ireland, he lost both parents, her her father in the Great Famine, when they were both barely teenagers. Her mother took him in as an orphan, and being forcibly evicted from their home, bought the family to Dundee, where they later fell in love and married.

This is the tin type taken around 1884. Sadly by time I inherited it it was already a century old, and very badly damaged as you can see. Nevertheless the little boy at the front is g-g grandad, the couple at back his parents, my 3xgreat grandparents, the lady sitting centre my 4 x great grandmother.

She was born in a sleepy picture postcard Essex country village 1817, and married at 22 to a farm worker from the neighbouring village, John aged 26. When she was nearly 40, they upped sticks and moved to London, West Ham. The Royal Victoria Docks had opened that year and John obviously felt he could make a better living as a docker there. It was a bad move as he was dead within 9 months of scarlet fever, probably picked up in the more crowded urban living conditions. She was left in a new home with 5 children to bring up alone, aged 14 years - 18 months, which she did working as a monthly nurse to local wealthy families, before eventually being taken in and cared for as a 'virtuous widow' in the West Ham Widows Alms Houses, and where she lived for over 30 years. These were next to West Ham Parish Church, the spire of which can just be seen in the photo (if you squint!), so this was no doubt then taken on a family day out, a picnic maybe, in West Ham Park, probably by a photo vender.

Despite the extreme damage I still feel lucky indeed to have it.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 December 10 01:01 GMT (UK) »
I too have photos of 2 3x greats born in 1790s (taken early 1860s).  I know who 12 of the other 14 3x greats were, but no photos.  If I was given a choice of knowing who the unknown 2 were, and having photos of the other 12, it would be a tough decision.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 December 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
On Anc I just found a cousin who has uploaded a pic of an ancestor born in 1848.

She was born 23 Dec 1847 actually, just got her birth c.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain