Author Topic: Tullyneuh, County antrim - is there such a place?  (Read 15053 times)

Offline Henry Hume

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tullyneuh, County antrim - is there such a place?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Megan,
The 'tullyneuh' you are looking for is Tullynewey, a Townland about five miles NEof Ballymena.
It is in the Parish of Dunaghy, in the Barony of Kilconway and about 1 mile from Clough village.
Sir Samuel McCaughey was born on a farm there ( I have 1835)
Much has been recorded on his and his Wilsom Uncle's work in Australia.
Sir Samuel donated a warplane to Britain for WW2
Presently I am trying to  find a connection with McFetridge  or Smyth with McCaughey.
A James Mcfetridge b 1872 Ballymena married a Jeannie Smyth (Rasharkin) b 1888 emmigrated to Australia and had a daughter Anna McCaughey McFetridge born  29Nov 1909 in Rockhampton, Queensland.

I live only 2 miles from the Tullynewey farm

Regards
Henry Hume

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Henry

Thank you so much. I am delighted to have confirmed Sir Samuel's birthplace. I have learnt a liittle about him from the net to date. He seems to have had "buckets of money" when he died in 1919 and was extremely generous. Also his nephew Sir Roy.

I am not very familiar with tracking things in Queensland, but can I be of any assistance? There seem to be a number of McFetridges in Northern NSW at around that time.

Regards

Megan
Researching  Phelps, Millard, Orr and Sloane.

Offline Irene Lilian Hunt

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 05 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I am researching McCaughey in Australia.  I have a James McCaughey who married Ann Kelly - seems to be Victoria.  Any connection?

Regards, Irene
NORFOLK: Spinks, Clay, Balls, Fife, Whistler, Head, Child, Youngs, Rising, Millican
SOMERSET:  Clay, Crosse, Oldfield, Harding, Curry
SHROPSHIRE:  Hunt, Cox, Bloore, Blantern, Cooke
FLINTSHIRE: Hunt, Mather, Cooke
KENT: Barwick, Jarman, Pearce, Graves, Beane, Scales
ARMAGH:  McArdle
TIPPERARY:  Beven/Bevens/Bevins, Cleary, Ryan
OFFALY: Cleary
GERMANY:  Conrades, Busse, Habenicht, Appuhn, Hage, Hillmer, Hernig, Wockener, Meyer, Schnranz
ESSEX:  Smith, Page

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 March 05 19:41 GMT (UK) »
H

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 19:14 GMT (UK) »
As yet I still haven't found any connection between the McCaughey's and my Orr family. The furthest back I can go is Robert Orr who was said to be a blacksmith, father of (Ella) Jane Orr who was born Connor, County Antrim, 1843.

I enjoyed reading about the McCaughey family in "The Return to Coree" but was unable to make a connection to Jane Orr. I particularly like the story of Sir Samuel who apparently always gave people rorm Ballymena a job. One day a Chinese man approached him for a job and said "I'm from Ballymena". Sir Samuel laughed and did give him a job!

Anthony, I suspect the William Orr, solicitor is from one of the branches of the Orrs related to William "Remember" Orr of Farranshane, hung in 1797. There were a number of later Orrs who were solicitors, including one who came to Australia, Hugh Harrison Orr, but I still have no connection between them and my Jane Orr.

Regards

Megan

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Part of the 1851 Census returns for Antrim survived with Tulynewey being one of them. Go to http://1851.4t.com/custom4.html and the second list is for same. It has a McCaughey household shown with a Samuel, son, aged 15.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Scotmum,

That's definitely the boy who became Sir Samuel McCaughey in New South Wales. All those children and only one manservant! I will have a closer look at the census information for my Orrs and Whites. What a pity the whole census did not survive,

Megan

Offline Rodelz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 July 12 05:31 BST (UK) »
Megan,
The 'tullyneuh' you are looking for is Tullynewey, a Townland about five miles NEof Ballymena.
It is in the Parish of Dunaghy, in the Barony of Kilconway and about 1 mile from Clough village.
Sir Samuel McCaughey was born on a farm there ( I have 1835)
Much has been recorded on his and his Wilsom Uncle's work in Australia.
Sir Samuel donated a warplane to Britain for WW2
Presently I am trying to  find a connection with McFetridge  or Smyth with McCaughey.
A James Mcfetridge b 1872 Ballymena married a Jeannie Smyth (Rasharkin) b 1888 emmigrated to Australia and had a daughter Anna McCaughey McFetridge born  29Nov 1909 in Rockhampton, Queensland.

I live only 2 miles from the Tullynewey farm

Regards
Henry Hume

Offline Rodelz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 July 12 05:53 BST (UK) »
Henry, The plane was donated for the 1st WW, Sir Sam was my Great Grand Uncle. James McFetridge and Jeannie Smyth were my Grandparents and Anna McCaughy Atkins Nee`McFetridge was my mother, I am the youngest of her children and one of only two surviving of her five children.
Sir Sam owned properties all over Australia. My son Brett was in Ireland in 2002 and met up with my cousin "James McFetridge" who was the son of James brother I think. I have lot's of info that you may already have but I'm happy to share.

Regards
Rod Atkins