Author Topic: REDPATH (Weldon House, Brinkburn, Felton, Longhorsely)  (Read 1723 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REDPATH (Weldon House, Brinkburn, Felton, Longhorsely)
« on: Friday 20 July 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
 I am looking for my 3xgt grandfather JOHN REDPATH who gave his birthplace as Weldon House in 1841 census. he was born around 1792 and by 1841 was a farm steward at Reedsford Kirknewton  . He had several children all born in the area around Crookham where they were baptised in the  Presbyterian Church from 1817 onwards. He died in 1854 at his daughters residence just outside Morpeth (buried at Kirknewton). His wife was Jane Tait born Alnwick who, after his death,  is listed as a farmer at Hetton  Coal Houses, near Chatton. She died in 1877 at Hetton North Farm.

I am trying to find
                            John Redpath's baptism

His marriage to Jane Tait

Any other information about his parents

Weldon House is now demolished but stood between High and Low Weldon to the west of Felton. I have looked in all the neighbouring parishes but can't find anything. There are numerous Redpaths further north than his birthplace but I can't find a link. Is he more likely to be connected with the Rothbury, Thropton Redpaths?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

If you think you might be connected with my Redpaths, I can share a great deal of info about later years with you!

GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline 1945mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: REDPATH (Weldon House, Brinkburn, Felton, Longhorsely)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
I am new to this site and am lookng for some Repdpaths       who lived in Whickham    Any relationship with your  branch of the redpaths?

Mike Graham
Moderator Comment:   Names of possible living people removed.   See http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php
'RootsChat is a forum for searching for ancestors. Anything posted on the internet is in the public domain where anybody can see this information. To protect people and their identities we do not encourage the posting of information about people who are or maybe still living.'
Redpaths in Whickham  co Durham

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 09 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi both
Sorry to amend your post Mike.   Welcome to rootschat!

Belfordian
The 1841 census does not show birth places.  It only indicates whether someone is born in the county or not so you need the 1851 census to give you a birth place for John.     Or is that what you meant?
Andrea

Offline nickybaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Bedfordian,

I am currently searching for a John Redpath, born Crookham/Branxton cira 1817 - 1820 and given the locations and that he settled in Alnwick, where Jane is from, im wondering if he might be one of the children of your John? The date and location is the closest thing I have found so far.

Many thanks

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 22 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky,
Sometimes I think the name of John Redpath must be the most common name ever! Makes searching it tricky. Since the post I made many years ago I've done further research and found out more. From what you say your John R was born at Branxton and was listed in Alnwick Workhouse in 1881 census. My John R was born at Milfield, Kirknewton and died at Longfield House, Marley Hill in Co. Durham whilst living with his son after his wife died. He and his wife have a gravestone at Warkworth Cemetery. They lived in that area in the 1890s.
 It was his father John who was born at what I misread as Weldon House and set me off on the wrong trail! It was in fact Hetton House at Fowberry just a few miles from where I now live. Transcriptions have a lot to answer for!

I now have details of the latter Johns children, baptisms and places of birth plus the date of his marriage at Lowick to Isabel Graham but cannot get beyond that. Yes, he did have a son called John (the one born at Milfield about 1817) but he is definitely not yours as he never lived in Alnwick. He was a Farm Steward like his father.

Have you found a baptism for your John? That may give further clues. If I find any notes I've made in the past about the various John Redpaths I'll post on here again. Walter seems to have been a regular name in my line, more unusual than John, so if you discover any Walters we might be connected.  You can find out the maiden name of your Johns wife, with a bit of intelligent deduction,  if he married and had children, by checking GRO online birth indexes which save you buying certificates.

Belfordian
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline nickybaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 22 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply after all this time  :)

It is a shame that its not a match, but thats often the way isnt it.
My Redpath is a bit of an anomaly - My ancestor Mary Ann Murphy appears to be living with him in the 1871 census, taking his name and renaming her children with his surname. I can find no evidence of a marriage and he is aged at 32 and born in Crookham.

In 1881 she is back to her Murphy surname although still listed as married. I was struggling to find him until I located a newspaper article where she states he is now in the workhouse and a "old man" and there is indeed a John Redpath listed with an age of 62, a whole 20 years older than his age in the 1871 census (I have looked and it doesnt appear to be a transcription error) The 1881 and 1891 census give his birth place as Branxton, which from looking at a map, is very close to Crookham so im inclined believe they are the same.

I can find no birth certificate and as for the above quandary with no marriages recorded, there is no fathers details to jump from - what a muddle!

I will certainly look out for any Walters in my travels.

Nicky