Author Topic: Adult baptism  (Read 7479 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Adult baptism
« on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been searching for some family members on the IGI born in the late 1700s early 1800s and have found 2 adult baptisms.  Now the village I am looking at is very small and only has a parish church.  I know that some other denominations do adult baptisms but why would a parish church?

I'm puzzled!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adult baptism
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
Were they by any chance just before a marriage?  It occurs to me that one party might not have been baptized as an infant/child, and - wanting to marry in the church - chose to be baptized before the ceremony.

JAP

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
Probably for some reason they were not baptised as children, and if they were getting married the Parish Priest insisted they got baptised. They could also have been Hypothetical baptisms (Ch. of Eng.), baptism administered to persons in respect to whom it is doubtful whether they have or have not been baptized before.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:52 BST (UK) »
Not sure they were old enough to get married but then it is such a common name in the area, it might not be the ones I am hoping they are. 

Thanks for the information, if I was to look at parish registers would the entrys of adult baptisms include parents names?

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:09 BST (UK) »
If they were old enough to be classed as adult baptisms they would have been old enough to marry, girls could marry at 12 and boys 14 with consent.

All the adult baptisms I have seen have named the parents, but then there is always the exception.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jebber

Another one for my list of things to look for my next visit!  ;D

Kerry

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Kerry

There's always the chance that one or both were other than C of E.  Some zealous vicars insisted that people be baptised according to C of E rites before they conducted a marriage. 

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
So that it could be a proper marriage no doubt  ::) ::) ::)

I've just had a thought for one of the chaps, I have his marriage 20 years after this adult baptism, I wonder if the adult baptism is actually his father just before he got married.  Hmmm back to the drawing board I think.

Kerry

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
For communicant members of the Church it is appropriate that they receive communion soon after their marriage. For some this may make it appropriate for the marriage to take place within the context of a Celebration of Holy Communion. Before admitting a person to communion the priest must seek evidence of baptism as baptism always precedes admission to Holy Communion.

The Book of Common Prayer states;
"It is convenient that the new-married persons should receive the holy Communion at the time of their Marriage, or at the first opportunity after their Marriage"
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk