Author Topic: Anybody with links to the PONTING and FIELDING in Wiltshire?  (Read 9200 times)

Offline murphy0383

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anybody with links to the PONTING and FIELDING in Wiltshire?
« on: Monday 23 July 07 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, i was wondering whether anyone had any links to the Ponting family who lived in Swindon and Wanborough. I have gone back far as a Joseph Ponting who was born abt 1836 in Wanborough who had a son called Levi Ponting.

With the Fieldings i have gone back far as Thomas Fielding who was born abt 1774 in Potterne and i have found that majority of the Fieldings lived in Worton and Potterne near Devizes Wiltshire.

Any information or links would be great

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody with links to the PONTING and FIELDING in Wiltshire?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 10:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Murphy0383, next time I visit what's left of the Wiltshire Record Office, I'll see what I can find out.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is what I found................

Baptisms in Wanborough
8 May 1836 Joseph son of John and Maria Pontin, labourer
4 Jun 1837 Mary dau of John and Maria Pontin
16 Jun 1839 Rebecca dau of John and Maria Pontin

I could not find a marriage for John and Maria after 1830, do you think they were married before or in a different parish?

Baptisms in Potterne
23 Nov 1774 Sarah dau of William and Jane Fielding
23 Mar 1777 Thomas son of William and Jane Fielding

Marriage in Potterne
13 Mar 1769 William Fielding and Jane Raymond both otp, witnesses Thos Watts and James Benly.

There was a possible baptism in Potterne 4 Jul 1742 William son of Thomas Fielden.   Did not find a baptism for Jane Raymond.

Cheers Dave

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline murphy0383

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for finding that information out for me Dave, can i ask where you were able to find this information?
This is quite useful information

I dont know when John and Maria would have got married im afraid and wouldnt know if they got married in a different parish.

I seem to have come to a dead end with the Pontings and the Fieldings now

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 22:49 BST (UK) »
Information came from the ORIGINAL handwritten parish records so it is as accurate as you'll get. 

Dave

Offline liner33

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 07 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I am also related to the Fieldings from Potterne but have only got as far back as around 1800 at present
Fielding - Wiltshire or Bristol area
Hinsley - Shrops and N Wales
Mann - Leeds/Yorkshire
Guy - Gower , Crofty, Penclwdd

Offline murphy0383

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liner

could you possibly contact me on mny email address

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

as it would be interesting to exchange some information if thats ok with you?

Regards
James

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 07 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murphy
   I've just read your post about Pontings and I am interested because I know there was a Ponting family in the hamlet of Basset Down, near Wroughton, circa 1920/30. I have been trying to find more about them because one of the boys (Lionel) was well known to my parents and subsequently he was a POW of the Japanese and on the Burma railway. Do you have any knowledge of him?
Regards
Tantan

Offline genhunter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 April 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello
I, too, have connections to the Fielding family in Potterne. I have proven my line back to Israel Fielding (Fildown) who married Ann Miel in 1749 at Potterne.
genhunter