Author Topic: Neely's in londonderry  (Read 21223 times)

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neely's in londonderry
« on: Tuesday 24 July 07 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

im trying to find out if John Neely & Margaret Jane Boyd had any more children that the ones that I already know about.

All I have from IGI is Oliver Neely (c1860) and Sarah Neely (1866)
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Neely's in londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
Can't see Oliver Neely born c1860 on IGI but there is a Margaret Jane Neely born 25 Jan.1849 Co.Derry. Since John Neely and Margaret Jane Boyd were married in 1844 (Co.Derry) it is very likely that there were other children but unfortunately civil registration of births only started in 1864 so you will probably need to find baptism and other church records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 08:37 BST (UK) »
thanks aghadowey,

I am a direct descendant of Oliver Neely & I am sure I have seen his birth on IGI. Even so thanks for the info regards his sister & parents
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
Checked again and no Oliver Neely born Ireland shows up on IGI or anything on LDS site. If Oliver was born c1860 it's before the start of civil registration of births but you might be able to find a baptismal record.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
aghadowey 

I just checked my notes and i originally got the birth date / year from his death certificate in Scotland.

as he was born around 1860 and his sister Margaret Jane was born in 1849 can you find out if there are any other siblings between these years

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 14:21 BST (UK) »

There is an Oliver Neely birth on IGI for 1880 - parents Oliver Neely and Elizabeth Frazer (who according to IGI married in 1891). Perhaps it was this one you came across before.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
as he was born around 1860 and his sister Margaret Jane was born in 1849 can you find out if there are any other siblings between these years

Can't see Oliver Neely born c1860 on IGI but there is a Margaret Jane Neely born 25 Jan.1849 Co.Derry. Since John Neely and Margaret Jane Boyd were married in 1844 (Co.Derry) it is very likely that there were other children but unfortunately civil registration of births only started in 1864 so you will probably need to find baptism and other church records.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 15:05 BST (UK) »

There is an Oliver Neely birth on IGI for 1880 - parents Oliver Neely and Elizabeth Frazer (who according to IGI married in 1891). Perhaps it was this one you came across before.

thanks scotmum,

The Oliver Neely I was asking about married Lizzie Fraser in St Columbs Londonderry in 22/10/1880. Oliver jnr was born the following year in Londonderry before the family moved to Glasgow around 1883ish.

Oliver snr is my GG grandfather. Oliver jnr is my G grandmothers brother.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
IGI lists 6 children born to Oliver Neely & Elizabeth Frazer but some of these are submitted records which need to be treated with caution.

The Oliver Neely I was asking about married Lizzie Fraser in St Columbs Londonderry in 22/10/1880.

If Oliver Neely was married in 1880 it is more than likely that he was born before 1860. Does his marriage give his age?