Author Topic: Armagh Ancestry  (Read 10158 times)

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 07 06:42 BST (UK) »
Christopher

Many thanks for replying............I dont know how many are employed at running Scottish People but I know that if certain people are off ill it puts a spanner in the works re some aspects of their service.  I must try and find out tho'

That said I can go to the Glasgow Registry Office and pay £14 to have access to their BMD etc database for a whole day and if I want copies of anything I just pay 50p a copy which is brilliant.  However any info can be extracted by simply writing it down. 

I wont be using the Armagh site simply because I feel they are taking the Michael charging so much.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Afraid I'm with Moira. Armagh Ancestry and the 'sister' sites which have been going live this past week or so, are, in my opinion, and as I have written and said to them, expensive for what they provide (that is, it is downloadable information rather than hard copy, so associated costs should be lower). To even be at the stage they are (ie going live by having copied so many records), their major costs must already have been funded from somewhere and not be reliant on making money from people purchasing records from the sites. Yes, there will be ongoing costs to maintain the sites and add to the records, but realistically, lower 'coal face' charges would bring in more people making purchases and so should still meet their running costs.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 October 07 23:40 BST (UK) »

The other thing is I was considering going over to Ireland with a cousin to see what records we might find as well as visiting cemeteries etc..........but we would still end up forking out the same money ................. and I dont think I'm the only one who will be thinking this way.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 October 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
Meant to say - an interesting article, Christopher, albeit I cannot say I agree totally with the conclusions drawn.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
Also agree with Moira and Scotmum about these genealogy centres. Most of them got grants to set up, employed young or unemployed people at low wages, and now charge large sums of money for the information they've gathered.
One thing which really hasn't been mentioned is the accuracy of the information which these places are providing. If you are totally stuck and don't mind paying lots of money to get what you need you would, I think, like to get accurate information. I've seen several reports which have townlands wrong, say certain records don't exist (which do), connect people of same surname, etc. There's even one place (won't mention the name) that has duplicated gravestones (i.e. have listed people twice as buried in 2 different parishes which are not even that near each other).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 October 07 00:28 BST (UK) »
It would be great if some of the executives and staff of the various Irish Family History Foundation centres were to register on RootsChat and explain their costings to us. Unfortunately they may not even be aware of the existence of RootsChat. It would also be interesting to know how many people are posting queries on the Irish boards. I wonder if RootsChat Irish boards are getting the equivalent of 500 visitors and 250 callers per year.
Would we need that number on each of the Irish county boards ???

Christopher

Offline welcome1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I have had the unfortunate rebuke from Irish Family Historical Foundation and the sister site Armagh Ancestry  disabling my account ,as they claim that I have not purchased any credits and cannot further use their search facilities,but I can avail of their researchers. How is it possible for us in the u.k. who use sterling currency to purchase credits when they ask for Euros,it is the same with records from Dublin.When I emailed the IFHF, they didn,t even reply to my query for an explanation.

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
hi,
if you use a credit card it will be converted to euros or if you dont have a card get a friend who has to help.

tony

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Are you paying by Credit Card? ohhhhhhhhh Tony you got in before me  ;D

ive used my credit card for 3 previous transactions with no trouble

colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .