Author Topic: Maryport  (Read 91342 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maryport
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 June 09 17:55 BST (UK) »
John Elliot opend his first butcher shop at 70 Crosby Street in 1825 Johns son William Elliot opend a shop at 45 Senhouse street  lots about Ann Williams wife and his 8 Children  also a photo of William in football team . Maryport Tradesmens Football Team

Audrey

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 June 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Wow!

Thank you Audrey, I didn't expect there would be so much information. This is defintely the same family as son's son William did marry an Ann Lawson. I have 10 children for then, so some must have died.
Which of the books did you find the information in?

Thank you so much for your help.

Katrina
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 June 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
Katrina
Street Life in Maryport
by
Herbert Jackson
printed in 1993 I dont know if its still in print

Audrey

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 June 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
It seems the cartmers were butchers also. If you go to www.historicaldirectories.org and cumberland in the search by county box and put cartmer in the individual search boxes (based on the fact that it is the most unusual name of the 3) you can find them from 1828 to at least 1883. When you have the maryport trades page, you can look for the other names as well. I didn't find william as an innkeeper but I didn't look very hard.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 June 09 19:21 BST (UK) »
John Cartmer born abt 1800
first recorded in Maryport 1811 small market stall John Street married Margaret Mulroy 7/2/1820 a lot of reference to descendants all butchers and tenant  farmers at Bank End Farm Netherall

audrey

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 June 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
Kay
nothing on Bragg family
reference to William and Mary Walker living 7 Selby Terrace 1914 went to live Allonby where he died 1949 William was the son of William Walker of Irish street

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 June 09 09:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting about the publishers being Firpress. I think it was Mike that owned it - he used to be a rugby referee in the 80's and lived near that pub with the round room on the A66 at Great Clifton.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 June 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob about the Cartmer info.

Yes, they were Butchers, and also Mariners, although I'm decesended from the Butcher branch. the John who is named in 1811 is actually the father of the one who married Margaret Mulroy. He should be listed as a Butcher who stands in Maryport Market with an Isaac Cartmer, also Butcher. Isaac is my ancestor.

I was very interested to find out that John Elliot was a Butcher in 1825, I had assumed he became a butcher after Isaac Cartmer died in 1830, thinking that he had took over his father in law's business. So I'm very grateful for that information, Audrey.

I don't have any recordings of William Atkinson in Maryport until the 1871 census, he was the Innkeeper of the Goldern Lion Inn in Senhouse St, Maryport. By 1881 he was the innkeeper of the Senhouse Arms, 139 Crosby St, Maryport, he died in 1889. The family wasn't originally from the area,  as William had originally been a Butler in his younger years working for Mr Salkeld at what is now Lime House School, in Dalston and a Mr Bowman, the largest landowner in Botcherby. All his male children moved out of the area, so the Atkinson from this family name never stayed in the Maryport area.

I think I'll have to take a trip to Bookcase in Carlisle to see if they have any of these books. Thanks for all your help Audrey  :D
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Maryport names offer
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 June 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Audrey, thanks for your kind offer. I see you have been inundated but hope you can manage another.
Thomas BAYLIS married a Mary Ritson in 1770 and he was a mariner living in Maryport and may have been master of a vessel called Nelson in 1777. He was a supperanuated mariner in 1822.
His son also Thomas married Margaret Wright in 1805 and he was also a mariner and they had a son again Thomes who was a mariner then a dockgateman then deputy harbour master in 1881 and died 1882. The family was always in Maryport;  King St. and Nelson St were addresses at times. No other Baylis family seemed to be in CUM. at that time.
My g.gran. was Jane Baylis born 1821.
Thanks for any help. Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.