Author Topic: Black Diamond Cup - AFL Newcastle  (Read 2053 times)

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Black Diamond Cup - AFL Newcastle
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have recently found out that a member of my family has one this cup. Apparently it is one of the oldest trophies in AFL history. Has anybody heard of this before or know where I could access information about it??

Apparently my great grandfather won it in Newcastle??

Thanks
Andrea   :o
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Black Diamond Cup - AFL Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
If you google it Andrea you will find more than I ever knew (or perhaps wanted to know) about AFL
I was surpried it started so early in NSW - apparently came from  Victorian gold miners  :)  :)

Trish

Few realise that Australian Football was played in Newcastle way back in 1883 and owes its origins, in part, to the Duguid Brothers: Jim, John and George, former gold miners from the large mines of Ballarat in Victoria.

http://www.bdafl.com.au/history.php
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Black Diamond Cup - AFL Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 07 23:54 BST (UK) »
The code originated in Melbourne, Australia in 1858, and was devised to keep cricketers fit during the winter months. The first laws of Australian football were published in 1859 by the Melbourne Football Club. The dominant governing body and most prestigious professional competition is the Australian Football League (AFL), which culminates in the annual AFL Grand Final, the highest attended club championship event in the world

from the Wikipedia,  interesting  as to  how it started.  Can you imagine Gold miners playing cricket in the mud   whilst resting from sluicing, as a lot of mining was above ground? ;D ;D

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au