Author Topic: Jonathan Parmley born 1777(?) Was he born in Alston?  (Read 822 times)

Offline paw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Jonathan Parmley born 1777(?) Was he born in Alston?
« on: Friday 27 July 07 18:05 BST (UK) »

Jonathan Parmley of Linton (Hebden and Grassington). Did he come from Alston, Cumberland?
(I know that some records of Alston are kept by the Northumberland Record Office - so I have also posted this under that county)

We have come across my ancestor, Jonathan Parmley in the 1803 Craven Muster Roll. (We believe this is him. Actually the name here is Jonathan Parmeby.) He is registered as living in  Hebden. He is a lead miner and a class one possible combatant (in the case of an invasion by Napoleon), as is mine agent Thomas Dickinson, who was a witness at his wedding. At the time Jonathan was the only person called Parmley in the area, we think.

In 1803 Jonathan married Susannah Frankland, the daughter of a local farmer. They had eight children in all, two of whom died. Their names were; Elizabeth, William, Thomas, Mary, Ann, Mary, Jonathan, Elizabeth. All were born in Grassington.

We know that Susannah’s parents were Thomas and Mary Frankland. It seems therefore that they might have been employing a custom of naming for their children; his father then hers for the boys; his mother then hers for the girls – even using Mary again when the first Mary died.

We cannot trace Jonathan’s birth in 1777. He probably came from a lead mining area to Grassington. We have found the marriage of a William Parmely (sic) to Elizabeth Allison in 1764 in Alston, Cumberland. Using the naming custom, we are working on the hypothesis that these are Jonathan’s parents.

Before going further we’d like to know if anyone has found the baptism of Jonathan which would confirm or disprove our idea.

For more information about the Parmleys in Wharfedale area, see Tony Owen’s site; http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/o/w/e/Anthony-Owen/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0216.html

Or

Join the Wharfdale Family History site to view their database of people who life events were registered in that area;
http://wharfegen.org.uk/

Thanks,
Davenport - Bolton
Holgate - East Lancs/West Riding Yorkshire
Phair - Ireland, Glossop and Bolton
Norris- Bolton
Whittaker-Bolton and East Lancs