Author Topic: Thorpe, Esgate, Bullock or Thickpenny  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Nikk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thorpe, Esgate, Bullock or Thickpenny
« on: Friday 27 July 07 20:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out if anyone else is looking for the Thorpe's or Esgates who lived in the Tilney St Lawrence area of Norfolk, as they are related to my nan and grandad Thorpe (now deceased... early 2000's.)

My Great grandad (Edward Thorpe) was also a lodger with the Thickpenny's in the latter 1800's, when he was about 15 years of age.  We know that he married, and had my grandad Charles Thorpe in 1903, but has disappeared off the radar.  We have been told that he died around 1917, but don't know where or when.  All we know is that he left his wife and very young family... and we don't know any more.  Can any one fill in any blanks before or after this?  Or do you know the Thickpennys?  I think I have traced them back, but would like to know if any photo's, etc excist of their home, family or my grandad, etc. 

The Esgates are my mums, mums, side of the family.  My nan was Lily Bullock, and her mum was a Esgate...I have done well with this bit of the family, but haven't traced Lily's dad (Bullock) yet.  Can you help?

Thanks Nikki

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thorpe, Esgate, Bullock or Thickpenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 07 21:25 BST (UK) »
Note to lookers up:  a related thread on the Lincs board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,246946.msg1354208.html#msg1354208

I guess this 1901 census entry relates to Edward

Thorough Field, Walpole St Peter
William THICKPENNY 67 Gen AgLab, W St P
Charlotte 70 Emneth
John Thomas (son,unm) 45 Gen AgLab, Denver
Edward THORP (Boarder) 14 Horseman on Farm, Not Known
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Edward was with the Thickpenny's in 1891 too at Walpole St. Peter - shown as Edward P. Thorp bc.1887 Wakefield, Yorkshire.

Can't see any obvious  birth entry.   

He married as Edward Percy Thorpe in 1909 Wisbech to Nellie Esgate.   I've found his death too - Edward P. Thorpe aged 31 d. Dec.qtr.1918 at Stamford.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 07 21:37 BST (UK) »
He married as Edward Percy Thorpe in 1909 Wisbech to Nellie Esgate.

This casts some doubt on the 1903 date for Charles's birth, doesn't it?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 07 21:38 BST (UK) »
what was Lily's parents names?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 07 21:51 BST (UK) »
Edward was with the Thickpenny's in 1891 too at Walpole St. Peter - shown as Edward P. Thorp bc.1887 Wakefield, Yorkshire.

Was it just a coincidence that there were THORPs next door?

Offline Nikk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 July 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
Fantastic info so far.   I am on holiday at present... and have just been shown this fab site.  When I get home I will investigate further. 
I am really interested in the last piece of info.  What  makes you think the thorpes may have lived next door to the thickpennys?  Or was that just a guess because the two both lived with the Thickpennys?

Thank you very much with your help so far?  I am so impressed... can't wait to return home, so that I can get on with this with more details at hand.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 July 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
In 1891 next door to the Thickpenny's were a George Thorp 80 with wife Mary 77 and grand-daughter Agnes 17.   Seemed somewhat of a coincidence but think it's a red herring.   Followed back on this George and Mary - they had just 2 children - a dau. Ann who married an Isaac Truman Copeland in 1867 and a son John who didn't seem to have any children.

Checked again for possible birth entry for Edward Percy Thorpe.   Seems just 1 real possibility - a Percy Thorpe was born Dec.qtr. 1886 Wakefield.   Cannot find any further trace of a plain Percy so this could well be your Edward Percy.   

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nikk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Got into this now...I now know that Edward Thorpe was born Oct/Nov/Dec 1887 in Walpole St Peter cert. 7a 385.  But I cannot trace his death. 

I also messed up.  My grandad Charles Thorpe was born in 1913, not 1903!  Aparently his dad, Edward (above) was supposed to have died when his children were very young, and my grandad was the youngest!  But I do not know any more than this...  I would like to trace Edward Thorpes death and possibly find out how and where he died!  I have been told that he wasn't living with his family when he died!  But I know now more than this!

I am still not at home, but rellying on the internet for info at the moment!

Thanks again