Author Topic: Thorpe, Esgate, Bullock or Thickpenny  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Nikk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thorpe, Esgate, Bullock or Thickpenny
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Annette I've just looked back and found that you have found that Edward percy died in Stamford....

Would you suggest that I buy the death cert to find out more... or is there any other way that I can find out info and find out what he died from, why he was in stamford and not with his family, where he was living before his death, etc?

Offline Nikk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Toni

Thanks for asking what Lilys parents were called... I don't know.

All I know was that nan was born Lily violet Bullock on 11th July, 1916 and died aged 85 in October, 2001

How can I trace her parents as she wasn't on the 1901 cencus, because she wasn't born!

Nik

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 07 12:51 BST (UK) »
Nik, the 1891 Census  states that Edward P. Thorp was born Wakefield, Yorkshire.   The birth entry you mention is in Spalding District, Lincs so how can you be sure that is him?   Although I can't find him in 1891 the only Edward Thorpe born in the time frame in Lincolnshire is with father Edward and siblings in Lincolnshire in 1901 (born Deeping) so can't be your Edward who was in Norfolk.   I would certainly suggest you get the death certificate - that way you will know what he died from, where he was living and who the informant of his death was.   I would also suggest getting his marriage certificate in case it states name of father (although I feel that since he didn't live with his family he may have been illegitimate).

Will be interesting to know what you find out.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 July 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Nik

Lily Violet Bullock was born in Kings Lynn Reg. District - mothers maiden name Raines.   Searched for a marriage between Bullock and Raines and the only possibility seems to be an Arthur Albert Bullock and Pleasance Rebecca Raines who married Freebridge Lynn, Norfolk in 1896.   On 1901 Census they were living at Parson Drove, Cambridgeshire:
Arthur Bullock    27    born West Lynn, Norfolk
Pleasance (indexed as Plessand) Bullock  27  born Castle Rising, Norfolk
Charles Bullock  3   born Clenchwarton, Norfolk
Gertrude Bullock  1  born Magdalen, Norfolk

A daughter Ruby M. Bullock (mother Raines) is reg'd Mar.1913 Kings Lynn and no doubt other children born Cambs./Norfolk between 1901 and 1913.   Your Lily was clearly the youngest.

1881 Census Clenchwarton, Norfolk

Charles Bullock    45     born Banningham, Norfolk
Hannah Bullock    43     born Alby, Norfolk
William Bullock     18     born Alby, Norfolk
Robert C. Bullock  13    born West Lynn, Norfolk
Charles H. Bullock  9     born West Lynn
Arthur A. Bullock    6     born West Lynn
Anne E. Bullock      3     born West Lynn

1881 Castle Rising, Norfolk

William Raines      47    born Castle Rising
Ann Raines           43     born Massingham, Norfolk
Elizabeth S. Raines  12  born Castle Rising
Martha A. Raines      11  born Castle Rising
William Raines      9   born Castle Rising
Walter Raines      7   born Castle Rising
Pleasance R.  Raines  6   born Castle Rising
Agnes S. Raines         5   born Castle Rising
Rachel Raines     no age  born Castle Rising

This should give you lots to go on.

Annette   
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 July 07 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Got into this now...I now know that Edward Thorpe was born Oct/Nov/Dec 1887 in Walpole St Peter cert. 7a 385. 

A birth in Walpole St Peter ought to have been registered as Wisbech 3b XXX

You can't claim the one in Spalding just because he happens to be the only one registered in Lincolnshire in 1887.  I'll grant that Tilney is only juuust in Norfolk, but you have to pass through Wisbech and Holbeach registration districts to get to Spalding from there.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Nikk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 July 07 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much on the info about my nan (Lilys) side of the family. 

I am know confused about Edward thorpe and which one I am related to?  But when I get home from holiday I shall get my bits and bobs sorted.  I had ordered the wedding certificate of Nellie and Edward (3b, 1290 - as I know this is a definate) so maybe this may shed some light, or maybe I will have to wait until the 1911 census is released to find out for certain!

Thank you both for your help so far.

Offline bororam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Dont know if you will get this mess , but i am related to the bullock family who you was looking for information about in 2008 .
If you still are looking then reply and we could exchange details What we know about the bullock surname, i am interested about Annie Bullock who i believe could be the brother of charles with Pleasence Rebecca being their mother
Regards

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
I joined Rootschat back in 2007 and this thread was the first I posted on!   

I fully appreciate this was 11 years ago now and that the OP has not been active on Rootschat since 2009.   However, at the time I suggested that Edward Percy Thorp bc.1887 Wakefield was the Percy Thorpe birth reg'd Dec.1886 Wakefield and I now feel certain that was the case.

GRO's own index now shows the birth was illegitimate (as was suspected) and although shown as Edward P Thorp in 1891 and 1901 the next census find's him listed as plain Percy Thorpe living with wife and infant son in Outwell, Cambridgeshire.  Can't post full details due to copyright but this is definitely the right family.

So, thought I'd post this in case someone else comes upon this thread in the future - it would definitely seem that Edward Percy Thorp/e born circa 1887 Wakefield and Percy Thorpe birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1886 Wakefield are one and the same.   Only acquisition of the birth certificate will show who his mother was.     

However, a word of warning - there is just one tree on Ancestry (by Fenlander2010) for Edward Percy Thorp/e and it shows him as the son of an Edward Thorpe and wife Mary Ann King and a birthdate of 13/9/1887.   This is incorrect - this person was a plain Edward, born in Deeping  (reg'd Dec.qtr.1887 Spalding) and with his family in 1891 and 1901 when the EPT born Wakefield was with the Thickpenny's.  As the tree shows a birthdate for Edward I don't know if this has come from a baptism or whether the birth certificate was obtained.   Whichever, the Edward Thorpe born Deeping to Edward and Mary Ann (nee King) and the Edward Percy Thorpe of this thread born Wakefield are 2 different people.

Just don't want anyone coming upon this thread in the future to go down the same wrong road as the submitter of the tree on Ancestry.   

In conclusion, Edward Percy Thorpe born Wakefield was registered as plain Percy Thorpe in Dec.qtr.1886 Wakefield, an illegitimate birth, and only purchasing this birth certificate will confirm the name of his mother to establish the right Thorpe line to follow.  Definitely no connection to the Lincolnshire family.

Hope this all makes sense.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Nickbullo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nikki are u still on here,  Nick Bullock