Author Topic: STEWART families in Donegal  (Read 17031 times)

Offline Thomas Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART families in Donegal
« Reply #72 on: Monday 16 March 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »

You have a Babington Will, naming father, brothers etc. from FS posted.  Wray Will.

It's not 'Who got What' but names/relationships named in them, grandson etc.

I didn't think that the Rev. John Johnston was likely an ancestor, but his Hamilton wife as part of the "Hamilton Clan" using Hamilton as a middle name, but your research on Johnston catches a lot of Babintons in the net.

I was only specualting to accumulate!   ;D

Yes, I may be back to William and Catherine Babington and the Johnstons if Richard/James had no kids who inherited Clonfad/Glenfad.  My thought at this point is that James Babington might have had a daughtr who married a Hamilton and they might have had children who might have been or been the father of "James Babington Hamilton" of whom I have a record.  Just my own speculation.  "James" + "Babington" remained names associated with that Townland for well over a century into the 2nd half of the 19th century.  And one of my Hamilton ancestors married "into" property in Taughboyne Parish that way in the 19th century. 

But, if James Babington son of Thomas had no children, then the property may have gone to his uncle Mathew's family, and if they ran out of heirs (and I haven't delved into that yet), then maybe it went to the descendants of William and Catherine.

It's a history-mystery at this point.  :)

Offline kmelchiore

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART families in Donegal
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
 I am searching for Samuel Graham's  Wife Jane Stewart family her father  Joseph Stewart he was a weaver m/c says Soaker. I have her mother as Ellinor Moore but can't confirm this is the correct family. I have been stuck on my Maternal like for about two years I did take an MTDNA test in hopes that i may find a connection. Jane Stewart was born about 1842. and is my 2nd Great Grandmother she was the mother of My Great Grandmother Ellen Graham born 2/01/1875 in Upper Tawny. Ellen was the mother of My Grandmother Martha A Graham born August 22, 1972. As far as i can see they were in Donegal Milford Ireland Kimacrennan. Hoping maybe someone here in this thread one of these names may look familiar.