Author Topic: Help? Disappearance?  (Read 16839 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help? Disappearance?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 July 07 13:31 BST (UK) »
Are you aware of the bankruptcy proceedings in relation to William Parker de Morley Mynn?  There's a listing in the Bankruptcy Court 31 July 1878 (adjourned first meeting - W.P. de M. Mynn). (The Times, 31 July 1878)

He may also be the W.P. Mynn, hop merchant, of Three Crown Square, Borough, who faced bankruptcy proceedings in 1866, but managed to get them stayed in order to reach agreement with his creditors (The Times, 19 Oct 1866) Modified - this in fact seems to be Walter Parker Mynn, though the address is the same later associated with William's business

Apologies if you already know all this - not quite on the point of your question :)

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 July 07 13:39 BST (UK) »
Coincedentally, I came across those records this morning but I hadn't looked at them properly, that could possibly explain the reason for running off to Notts...
BARTLETT - Plymouth, Devon
BIRD - Wiltshire, Somerset
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
HARDISTY - Leeds, Yorkshire
HAYWARD - Southwark, Surrey
LEDAMUN - Spitalfields, Middlesex
MONTAGUE - Bethnal Green, Middlesex
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent
REYNELL - Newington Surrey
REYNOLDS - Soho, Middlesex
WREN - Midlothian, Scotland, Camberwell

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 July 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
The archives of the London Gazette also contain numerous references to William Parker de Morley Mynn in the 1860s and 1870s - he seems to have been the subject of a number of bankruptcy petitions over the years and was actually adjudged bankrupt on 30 May 1878.

http://beta.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.aspx?GeoType=London

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 July 07 14:02 BST (UK) »
The archives of the London Gazette also contain numerous references to William Parker de Morley Mynn in the 1860s and 1870s - he seems to have been the subject of a number of bankruptcy petitions over the years and was actually adjudged bankrupt on 30 May 1878.

http://beta.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.aspx?GeoType=London

Anna

This is very interesting, it might explain his sudden departure and the change of surname with his children that he had in Notts, may have been avoiding the bankruptcy...
The children born to him in Notts were all given the surname "de Mynn". 

...Another interesting fact cropped up through these Gazettes, he was trading with his uncle, William Parker Mynn (cricketeer brother of the famous Alfred Mynn) in the hops/beer industry until 1857 when they signed a mutual agreement to close business.
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 July 07 14:27 BST (UK) »
Just noticed a mistake I made - again, sorry, I've been staying up too late researching, on the birth certificate for my grandfather:
CLARA AUGUSTA MYNN is registered as living at 14 St.Stephen's Terrace, Lambeth Surrey.
Her father, William Mynn is listed as living at the same address in the Post Office Directory of Surrey, 1878   Surrey   1870s   Post Office.

Side note:His uncle and cousin (Walter Parker Mynn and Ernest Mynn respectively) are living at 19 and 20 South Gro, Rye La, Peckham at this time - I'm assuming South Grove, Rye Lane, Peckham - Walter Parker Mynn was sued and classed as a prisoner in 1829...Interesting, could be some kind of fraud going on here.
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 July 07 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Checked the 1881 census for 14 St Stephen's Terrace, Lambeth and unfortunately none of the Mynn family appear to be living there. There is a Joseph & Georgianna Cartwright and their 7 children living there.

Sorry, but thought that I'd cancel that one out for you

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline scottcharles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 July 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
How strange, maybe they were only there briefly.
Another mystery has just cropped up, well, one I already knew about but now have confirmation of.
In the 1901 census Marianne Augusta Mynn is still living at 8 Tinter Street, without any children, there are several people in the household - a wife, a son, a mother and a boarder.
The three people who are related are:
Fanny Harris
Sidney G. Harris
Susan D. Harris
The boarder is a carpenter named Archibald Dodds.

The mystery is that Marianne is listed as a widow, even though we know her husband didn't die for another 14 years. (He had since moved to Notts and started a family there, de Mynn)
Could this be something to do with the law (I believe now missing persons are registered as dead after 7 years MIA, though I don't know about that then), or do you think she had just given up on him?
Perhaps there is something to do with fraud here? Or maybe she was thrifty and knew how to support herself by having boarders? Perhaps they are relatives from her own family.
Anyway, it's quite strange.

PS: Thank you for checking that for me, and thank you everyone who has helped so far!
BISHOP - Somerset
DESBOROUGH - Surrey?
EMERY - Bedfordshire
HALL - Walworth
MYNN - Goudhurst, Kent

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 July 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
Also checked 19 & 20 South Grove, Peckham, Camberwell and there are no Mynn's either. There are a Noel & Annie Cobb at no 19 and Emily Shoutts at no 20.

And 19 & 20 Rye Lane, Peckham, Camberwell are also inhabited by others namely a Josiah Bloomfield MD and his large family  ::)

Sorry

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 July 07 16:47 BST (UK) »
How strange, maybe they were only there briefly.
Another mystery has just cropped up, well, one I already knew about but now have confirmation of.
In the 1901 census Marianne Augusta Mynn is still living at 8 Tinter Street, without any children, there are several people in the household - a wife, a son, a mother and a boarder.
The three people who are related are:
Fanny Harris
Sidney G. Harris
Susan D. Harris
The boarder is a carpenter named Archibald Dodds.

The mystery is that Marianne is listed as a widow, even though we know her husband didn't die for another 14 years. (He had since moved to Notts and started a family there, de Mynn)
Could this be something to do with the law (I believe now missing persons are registered as dead after 7 years MIA, though I don't know about that then), or do you think she had just given up on him?
Perhaps there is something to do with fraud here? Or maybe she was thrifty and knew how to support herself by having boarders? Perhaps they are relatives from her own family.
Anyway, it's quite strange.

PS: Thank you for checking that for me, and thank you everyone who has helped so far!

It wasn't unusual for abandoned wives to call themselves widows.  When my ggg-grandfather made a bigamous marriage and hotfooted it across the Atlantic, his abandoned wife in Glasgow described herself as "married" in the next three censuses (1871-1891) before finally giving up the ghost and going for "widow" in 1901.  In fact he outlived her by a decade.

Anna