Author Topic: ebbw vale  (Read 5371 times)

Offline 4mywife

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
ebbw vale
« on: Monday 13 December 04 20:18 GMT (UK) »
can somebody please  tell me which county ebbw vale came under  in 1886.my wife g/m was born in 1886 & in her bible it says monmouth ???
im looking at bruley,[found] tebbutt, northamton,lewis  from saltry and now now down south ,barton, points ,fell and bayliss from clerkenwell, pearce from london,price,poole, yapp,  ebbw vale

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ebbw vale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 04 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Ebbw Vale , to my knowledge as always been in monmouthshire, which
much later became Gwent and is I believe now, Blaenau Gwent. 

Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 04 23:00 GMT (UK) »
The following description of Ebbw Vale is taken from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire, 1901:

"EBBW VALE is a parish constituted by Order of the Monmouth County Council, confirmed by an Order of the Local Government Board, dated November 19, 1894, and previously formed into an ecclesiastical parish in the year 1870 from the civil parishes of Aberystruth and Bedwellty, comprising the following places: Ebbw Vale, Briery Hill, Newtown, Pontygof and Victoria."

County Councils, Borough Counties - they sure liked to confuse us!  ::)

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 10:58 GMT (UK) »
In 1886 Ebbw Vale was in the county of Monmouthshire - Monmouth is the town - Because this little corner of Wales has proved to be the most difficult to control by any government or authority *they* seek to divide and rule so the policy of "change the name and boundaries every few years and confuse the natives" has been instituted and if the natives are confused - and we are - what chance does anyone else stand?  ;)
There is, of course, a great deal of irony in the previous statement and it should be taken with a large pinch of salt!
Ann
Native Monmothian
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.