Author Topic: Mystery Mill - Milnrow???  (Read 9022 times)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mystery Mill - Milnrow???
« on: Monday 30 July 07 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

This is a bit of a long shot! This photo was found amongst my great uncle's effects after his death in the USA. The family originally came from Milnrow, near Rochdale, and I wondered if anyone recognised it (providing it still exists), as it may have been the mill where his parents worked. It must have had some significance for him to keep a photo of him. Unfortunately I do not have the original, but I was told that there is no writing on the back.

Thanks!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Mill - Milnrow???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 07 18:42 BST (UK) »
Can I suggest that you contact Rochdale Local Studies Centre about the picture. Their email address is localstudies@rochdale.gov.uk  I am sure they would be able to help you identify the mill. If they can't they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Margaret

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 07 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margaret! That is a fantastic idea! I will do that straight away!!!
Cheers!!!  :D :D

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline prawn45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi. I live in Milnrow, I dont know the name of the mill, but  Im almost certain that the mill used to be the premises of Tomlinsons Engineering closed in 1989. It now houses Budget Greetings Cards. The address is 34, Newhey Rd, Milnrow, Rochdale , OL16 3NR I hope you find this a help.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Prawn, - that is fantastic!

I will use the address you have given me to see it on Google maps and see what it looks like today.

I presune that before it was an engineering works it would have been a cotton mill - I'm guessing that it was where my family worked.

Thank you again!

Judy  ;)

Offline prawn45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 June 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy, its me again. A bit more info for you, the mill is called Albert Mill. I found this snippet on the Graces Guide website Under Woollen Manufacturers. Its from 1891 probably before what you want, but you may be able to branch out fron here.

Wlliam Clegg, Albert Mills; 250 looms, flannels. Pay day third Wednesday, 10 to 12. Telegrams, "Clegg, Milnrow." 'Telephone No., 6.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 June 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
hi Prawn

Thank you very much for the additional information.

It is quite exciting for me, as it is the Clegg family from Milnrow that I am researching!

It seems quite likely that this William Clegg was a family member, though of course I realize that Clegg is quite a common name in Rochdale.

But there must have been a reason that my great uncle Clegg took a photo of the mill with him to America.

Thank you again for finding the information for me! Much appreciated.

Judy

Offline irmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi just come across your photo of Albert Mill
William Clegg the owner was my great great grand father. He had a daughter called Molly Clegg who married Robert Whitworth another mill owner and two sons Edward and Emanuel .The Clegg mill and the Clegg share of Ellen Road Mill ended up with the Whitworths. The Whitworths have a faily detailed family tree drawn up around 1910, and I have a fair amount of their history including some Clegg history which I would be happy to e mail you if it is relevant to your enquires.

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 12 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just seen your post re the Whitworths have you any connection with Grace Whitworth who married Joseph Taylor around 1795 ,they lived in Milnrow

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk