Author Topic: Willam McGregor/Hancock 1834  (Read 12416 times)

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Willam McGregor/Hancock 1834
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank so much Sheila and Eric for all you efforts in helping me unravel the McGregor/Hancock clan! And what a clan it's turning out to be!

I have tried writing it all down to try to make sense of it. It looks as though they were baptised and then converted to Roman Catholics later? I notice some of them are bt on the same day.

I see Jane had children in 1878,79,80,81 and then there's a gap until 89,90,91,93. Is it possible father was away in the eight year gap or did a batch of children die? I wonder if there's an historical event happening at that time.

Sheila, I would love to have the bt for the Willam McGregor and Elizabeth Whittaker children when you have a minute. There seems to be plenty of them - I have found 11, although 2 were listed as daughters on one census, daughters-in-law on another!!

The William Gardener and Harriet Hancock McGregor (1878) wedding is a worry as I haven't come accross Harriet before. Is she another daughter of William and Elizabeth?

If Jane McGregor married a Hancock, why would her father adopt that name too?

Sorry folks - too many questions.

By the way, is it unusual to name someone after a place - Gedling Hancock?

Best wishes, A confused Linda   ???

Rolfe - Norfolk. Wright - Nottingham. Elliott - Leics/Nottingham. Pritchard - West Hartlepool. Fowler - Nottingham. Keetons - Chesterfield area.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda,

This was the marriage and baptism's for William & Elizabeth as far as I got, I will have another look later as I have to go out now, it is harder to find them with the different spellings of McGregor.
When you follow Gedling Hancock back through the census you will see he appears to be the son of Simon & Rebecca Hancock  ???

Marriage at Radford St Peter
WILLIAM McGREGGOR & ELIZABETH WHITTAKER – 14th May 1855

Baptisms
Mary McGREGOR father William, mother Elizabeth baptised 30th June 1861 - Radford Christ Church, Sweep, abode New Radford.

Elizabeth McGREGOR, father William, mother Elizabeth baptised 28th June 1863 - Radford Christ Church, Sweep, abode Ilkeston Rd

Elizabeth McGREGOR - father William, mother Elizabeth WHITTAKER, baptised 4th Nov 1878 - Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral R.C.

Gertrude McGREGOR - father William, mother Elizabeth WHITTAKER, born 15th May 1873, baptised 21st Jan 1881, Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral R.C.

Clara McGREGOR - father William, mother Elizabeth WHITTAKER, born 25th July 1875, baptised 21st Jan 1881 - Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral R.C.

Helen McGREGOR - father William, mother Elizabeth WHITTAKER, born 25th Feb 1878, baptised 5th Nov 1882 - Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral R.C.

Mary Lily May Gardner McGREGOR, father William, mother Elizabeth WHITTAKER, born 10th Oct 1886, baptised 31st Oct 1886 - Nottingham Sacred Heart R.C.

Then this one for McGREGGOR……
Jane McGREGGOR, father William, mother Elizabeth WHITTAKER, born 7th July 1859 baptised 5th Nov 1889 - Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral R.C. – Abode Ilkeston Rd

Regards

Sheila.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Just before I go……

Harriet Hancock McGregor, I think she is the daughter of James, the brother of your William.
You will find the family in 1871, James born Southwell is also a sweep.
1871 RG10; Piece: 3501; Folio: 57; Page: 35

Sheila.

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William McGregor/Hancock 1834
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

Just having a look at that 1871 census - James wife Emma (1845) seems a little young to have a daughter Harriet born 1856. Is there any chance you could see if he was married twice?

Still trying to piece the family together but I'm finding it difficult.

Thank you
Linda >:(
Rolfe - Norfolk. Wright - Nottingham. Elliott - Leics/Nottingham. Pritchard - West Hartlepool. Fowler - Nottingham. Keetons - Chesterfield area.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Looks like James was first married to Elizabeth Harriman;
JAMES McGREGGOR & ELIZABETH HARRIMAN – 24th Dec 1854, Radford St Peter

By coincidence  Elizabeth Harriman is also living in Lowes Yd, Lenton in  1851 -H0.107/2129/242/16

The 1861 census has James transcribed as James M Gregor
1861 - RG9; Piece: 2448; Folio: 56; Page: 38
8, Chapel Sqr, Radford.
James M Gregor, head, marr, aged 30, Sweep, Born Sheepshead, Nottinghamshire.
Elizabeth Gregor, wife, aged 30, born Radford
Harriett Gregor, dau, aged 5, born Radford
Maria Gregor, dau, aged 2 months, born Radford.
Emily Haroman? Dau, aged 11, born Radford.

There is another marriage for James;
JAMES McGREGGOR & Emmaline WILSON – 17th April 1865 at Radford St Peter.

Regards

Sheila.

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda
What a complicated family!!!!!
I think the complications arise because of the illegitimacy of Maria Mc Gregor's children by Simon Hancock, after the death? of her husband Daniel McGregor, and a few years later the Hancock and Mc Gregors intermarried again, probably cousins. Haven't yet worked out if it was all legal.!!!!!

It's not unknown for children to be named after a place. The Beckhams did it to remember where the child was conceived!!!!!!!

Let me know if you work it out before I do.

Happy unravelling
Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eric, I didn't realise you were still working on it, but I'm very glad you are!

I was thinking that Daniels death date might be helpful as you said. It looks as if he died, Maria then set up camp with Simon, then she dies. Does Simon then marry Rebecca?

This is starting to read like the plot of a romantic novel!!

I'm trying to write it all down in some sort of order. One thing we can be sure of is that they all seem to have been chimney sweeps!

Linda ;)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

I am still looking.....
I haven't found a death for Daniel, the NFHS index covers Upton (where Eric found the baptisms) for - baptisms =  1882-1902; marriages = 1586-1901 and burials =  1813-1844.
If you like I can go and take a look at the Upton baptisms as they are at my local library - to make sure it definitely says Daniel and see if I can find out anything else? it would probably be at the end of the week......

Regards

Sheila.

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

That would be fantastic if it would be no trouble to you. I used to live in Nottingham, Edwalton in fact, but I'm now up here in Yorkshire,

I think it would be useful to know about Daniel - Erics right, it does seem to be a complicated family!

Many thanks, I shall  look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Linda