Author Topic: Mason/Middlemiss  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mason/Middlemiss
« on: Wednesday 01 August 07 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hello to you all hope that all is well. I am searching for the family of John Mason and wife Jane Mason (nee Middlemiss) he came fron Belford and Jane came from Tweedmouth they were married on the 5th June 1841 at Lamberton Toll their son William came out to Australia and married Rebecca Tindall from Liverpool. I would love any information about their background if possible. Thanks  :D Janet

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mason/Middlemiss
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you have the 1851 census?  HO107 2421 F227 p35
John Mason 33 fisherman b Belford
Jane 30 b Tweedmouth
Wm 9 b Durham - place illegible
Hannah Middlemiss visitor mar labourer's wife b Hartley Northumberland

Hannah is almost certainly Jane's mother and it appears her husband is still alive so a search for them in 1841 would help.  Jane and John should be just married in 1841 as it was taken on 6th June.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 08:52 BST (UK) »
It has just occurred to me that you probably have more information which will help.  Do you have the marriage certificate?   If not, that is the first step.  It will give the names and occupations of both fathers which will help to find them in 1841.   Witnesses' names often confirm family members too.
William's birth certificate will confirm his father's occupation.  There are a couple of possible John and Jane Mason's in 1841 but the most likely is a gardener.  By 1851 he is a fisherman so it would help to know what he was at the birth.   If a fisherman then we can probably discount the 1841 couple.
I cannot see a Hannah Middlemiss in 1841 but there are several Anns and the two names are often interchangeable.   Middlemiss can be written in many ways too so it is worth checking all possible spellings.
Andrea

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Sillgen, thanks for your information on this family. I have the 1841 Census on both families, The mason's township of Goswick Brock Mill Farm with William, wife Eleanor, Thomas Eleanor John and Barbary. The parish of Chillingham Barns Farm, with William Middlemiss, wife Hannah, John, Jane, Barbara, and Robert Middlemiss. The parents of these two families came out to Australia and I am searching here, the death certificates show a lot. I need to purchase William Mason's birth Certificate as I don't know the exact date of his birth, apparently a lot of places don't take the currency of a dollar this is where I am having trouble. Thanks for your input and have a great day. Janet :D

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 07:59 BST (UK) »
I think that if you order certificates through the main GRO site they accept credit cards in any currency.   Worth checking anyway.  I believe there has been a thread about the best way to pay on rootschat.  Have you checked at the top of the Australia board to see if it gives advice?

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Sillgen, thanks for your advice I will look into it, I have a few people out there that have the information for me regarding family certificates I just need to find out which is the best way to purchase the records. Have a great day and take care. Regards Janet :-*