Author Topic: Moirlanich Longhouse  (Read 3899 times)

Offline tn17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Moirlanich Longhouse
« on: Thursday 02 August 07 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

On an 1863 Marriage certificate, I have a Peter Robertson, son of Duncan Robertson, residing at Moirlanich, Glenlochay, in the Parish of Kenmore. In an effort to find out exactly where Moirlanich was, I put the name into google and discovered Moirlanich Longhouse, a historic attraction of the same name (http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/80/), that was inhabited by three generations of the Robertson family.

I was wondering if anybody on Rootschat knew if Moirlanich refers only to the house or also the surrounding area, and if anybody has any more information.

Thanks

TN

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Moirlanich Longhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I believe its just the house. I was there in April - we were going to stay in a holiday chalet nearby but I wanted to have  look at the longhouse first so we stopped the car there .. my 7 year -old son was HORRIFIED because thats where he thought we were staying haha!
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline CaledonC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grand father James Plowman of Wick Caithness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 December 08 14:40 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the OS map on Old Maps ( about 1865 ) you can see the long house shown . There are a number of small habitations b eside the long house . I think that the name refers to the cluster rather than just the long house . Fascinating place .
Lamont Nicol Plowman Cormack Begg Leith Bremner Sharp Cram Barr McFarlane Mayall Hutcheson Hutchison

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
photos of it ...
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Here is Lizzie Robertson at the hearth in Moirlanich in the 1930's.

Offline dex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi TN

I'm a newcomer to Rootschat. I picked up a link to your posting whilst 'Googling' Moirlanich.
I also have a link to Peter Robertson and have traced most of the occupants of Moirlanich between 1806 and the final occupant in 1968.
I intend to visit Moirlanich quite soon as well as various other places nearby which have family connections such as Methven churchyard.

dex

Offline tn17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valr for those great pictures (and sorry for not replying sooner).

Dex - PM sent  :D

Offline dex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 May 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi TN

Received your PM, however I am unable to reply yet as rules state I must have at least three postings before I can do so. I will deal with this shortly. I am descended from Betsy Ann Robertson, born 09 Mar 1874, sister of Janet.  I have managed to get back to Duncans parents. Will provide details when returning PM.

Offline EMurray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm the Property Secretary for Moirlanich Longhouse. I'm putting together all the information I have on Peter Robertson's descendants to display at the house. If anyone would like to add to this email me at moirlanich@nts.org.uk, or even better come and visit!