Author Topic: Advice about digital cameras please  (Read 8276 times)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about digital cameras please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
And,

Tomkin ;D      All Taken with my Lovely old Fuji ;D ;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
That's a very nice looking camera, Tomkin. How much did it cost? Have you got any images from it that you can post yet? You must have even more cameras than I have  8)

Kerry, if you are wanting close up of birds, the most important thing is depth of field/focus, camera shake. and dust/smudge free lens.

Gadget

PS - I see it can be bought for 250-350  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tomkin

I'm in the pleasurable position of being a bit free with the money.  Basically to cut a long story short I've been saving for a life assurance savings plan for 15 years 35 a month, it matures next month and whilst I am going to be sensible and pay off most of it on my mortgage I am going to buy two things for myself that I desire - a flat screen monitor for my computer and a new camera  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What name and number is the camera?  I bought a magazine this morning that had quite a good review for a new Olympus and I quite liked the sound of it.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
That's a very nice looking camera, Tomkin. How much did it cost? Have you got any images from it that you can post yet? You must have even more cameras than I have  8)

Kerry, if you are wanting close up of birds, the most important thing is depth of field/focus, camera shake. and dust/smudge free lens.

Gadget

Ooh Gadget you snuck in there!

Yes camera shake is one of my priority, I've always had a wonderful camera shake!!!!!  A lot of the new camera's have image stabilisation now which is a must for me.

Pete's been trying to go through the depth of field/focus thing again with me this morning, I have a mental block but I think I'm beginning to understand it. 

Aperture - the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture but why?  Why couldn't they have a small number = a small aperture, I'd get it then! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
While we are on the subject what is ISO?

The Olympus I was looking at and liked the look of - SP -550 UZ had a good rating except that there is a lot of noise at high ISO ie 400 and 800.

But I don't know what ISO is or why I would need a high one??

Kerry  ::)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
ISO is film rating -  fine- coarse grain in the old days of emulsion coated film.  The lower the rating the finer the grain*. It can be used to vary the shutter speed in various lighting conditions .

Gadget

* only 'virtual' in digital cameras  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
Right I think I'm with you  :)

Kerry

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Posted by: Gadget  Posted on: Today at 15:07:35 
Insert Quote 
That's a very nice looking camera, Tomkin. How much did it cost? Have you got any images from it that you can post yet? 

I've posted quite a few on RC. You missed them :P :P :P :P :P

The Camera is the Olympus SP-550Uz ( it also has the benefit of a 28mm wide angle equivalent)

The Spuggy is a young 'un taken through the kitchen window. It wants to be very careful where it sits ;D

Tomkin

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
 The young Spuggy just before it sat down ;D ;D

Tomkin 8)