Author Topic: Advice about digital cameras please  (Read 9291 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about digital cameras please
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 04 August 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
Crikey I'll be able to take pictures of my neighbours washing up!!!!!! ::) ::)

And they won't know!!!! ;D

I've been reading various reviews about a handful of cameras, they all say different things though so I think you have to take the average of each one. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 August 07 17:20 BST (UK) »

Hi Kerry,

I would agree. Personally I wouldn't have bought this if I'd known that Fuji were
    bringing out an 18x zoom shortly, Which strangely looks very much like the Olympus.  Ah well.

The good thing about digital is that you can take loads of pictures and select the one
      good one that you managed to take ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
              The old film cameras taught you how to take pictures.

This is a Blackbird sunbathing at the bottom of the garden
               Tomkin ;D

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 August 07 17:24 BST (UK) »
A good picture!  ;D

Keeping up with all these cameras is getting a bit like women's fashion these days.  They seem to change with the seasons.  ::) ::) ::)

My current camera is about 6 generations back but only 3 years old. 

I'm beginning to feel old with all this fast pace technology!  :o :o :o

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 August 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

just been thinking. ( that hurts)   Why don't you have a look at
 the Totally Off Topic Bit.  Look for These sunny days bring out the
  pictures in me.
                             Loads of great pictures and maybe they can advise on cameras.

Tomkin ;D ;D

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 06 August 07 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tomkin  ;D

You go carefully now, don't hurt yourself too much!  ::) ::) ::)

Kerry

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Kerry, have you made your mind up yet?  I'm also looking for a new digital so would be interested to know  :)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I think I have

I'm going for a new camera, only been out for a month or so - the Canon Powershot S5 IS.  It has image stabilisation.  The reviews I have read have all been good and though it only has 12x zoom compared to some, ie the one Tomkin was talking about has 18x zoom, I think it does everything I want it to do.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s5is.asp

Kerry

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kerry, another one to mull over   ???

It's the rather bewildering array that baffles me, I don't want anything too technical, but one that I can use to take good nature closeups outside as well as my ever-moving grandson without too much camera-shake (my fault) - so the image stabiliser sounds a very good idea..   my brother suggested the Canon Powershot G7 but I think it's a bit too clever for me

Thankyou, Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

To back up Kerry's choice, I bought OH about 18 months ago an earlier version of the one that Kerry mentions and it is very good - and  I'm a dedicated SLR person  :)

gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***