Author Topic: Kiernan- Reynolds in Carrigallen  (Read 4530 times)

Offline annebrod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kiernan- Reynolds in Carrigallen
« on: Monday 06 August 07 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help me with information about my GG grandmother/father, please?  Both of these ancestors moved from Carrigallen some time after 1871, to Dundee, with their 7 children. 
Bridget Reynolds m John Kiernan c 1854 in Carrigallen.  This is given on John's death cert in 1889, Dundee.  (I just found this, yesterday!) They had their 7 children, Margaret, Mary (my G grandmother), Bridget and Catherine (twins I think) Elizabeth, Francis, Patrick in Leitrim and then another son, James, later in Dundee.  On John's death cert he gives his father's name as Francis Kiernan (farmer) deceased and his mother as Mary Quinn also deceased. 
On the marriage cert of my G grandmother, Mary, her maiden name has been misprinted from Reynolds to Rinslit! ???  Hence, I have never been able to track down any further information about her until today.  By finding her husband's death cert I was able to also find her correct maiden name.  I would be grateful for any info about either of their families. 
Thanks
Anne

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kiernan- Reynolds in Carrigallen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 03:17 BST (UK) »
anne, found one birth from civil reg. PATRICK KIERNAN 10-8-1867. CARRIGALLEN, LEITRIM, IRE.

parents JOHN KIERNAN &BRIDGET REYNOLDS.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline annebrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mary.  Another little bit of the jigsaw revealed!  I wonder where the other 6 Irish siblings are hiding? 
Anne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
IGI shows 3 children- the Patrick that Mary found and twins: Anne & Francies born 12 June 1865 Carrigallen dist., Leitrim. Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 and it is likely the other children were born before that date. Since you have an area you should probably start looking for church records which might have baptisms for the older children.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annebrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 07 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, aghadowey!  There's no sign of these twins in the Scottish records in the 1881 census.  Your suggestion of looking in Church records - does this mean I have to visit the area or is there another way of doing it ?  It's a long way from Australia!
Anne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 07 10:31 BST (UK) »
First thing to do is check LDS catalog at www.familysearch.org to see if the church records have been microfilmed by the Mormons. If so (and they cover the dates you need), you can order the roll to be used at your local LDS library. There is a small fee and it usually takes a while for the order to arrive (your branch can give you an idea of how long the wait usually is).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annebrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 07 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, again, aghadowey for your interest and help.
Anne