Author Topic: HASKINS - Lace Bobbin Makers - Bedford  (Read 5528 times)

Offline DavidHWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HASKINS - Lace Bobbin Makers - Bedford
« on: Monday 06 August 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
I am the 4th great grandson of a Joseph Haskins who lived in Bedford from about 1815 till his death in 1855. In addition to my ancestor William Joseph and his wife Catherine had sons Robert (born 1813) and David (born 1819 and christened in Harpur Street Wesleyan Methodist Church).
I know there was a lace bobbin maker in the mid 19th century called Joseph Haskins who on his death in 1855 was succeeded by his sons Robert and David but I have no information that identifies where in England their workshop was located. Also all the census and trade directories I have found give my Joseph Haskin’s trade as ‘Lapidary and bead making’ and Robert as ‘goldsmith, jeweler and mechanical dentist’. So were there two people called Joseph Haskins with similar trades? Or can I claim the lace bobbin maker as my ancestor?
Can anyone tell me if the Haskin bobbin making family carried on their trade in Bedford? Is there an example of their work I could go and see somewhere? Can you suggest any other place I could continue my research?

Thanks
David

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HASKINS - Lace Bobbin Makers - Bedford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 07 16:24 BST (UK) »

Hi David.....

There is a book that is used by auction houses to clarify the makers of lace bobbins....

"Success to the lace pillow" was written by David & Christine Springett and is full of info on East Midlands bobbin manufacturing. There are examples that mention the work of Robert & David Haskins and more on the work done in Olney which was a major area for lace production and also not far from Bedford cross country.
 They have written about 5 books on lace making and bobbins and spangles so you may be able to track one down in a library.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
David

Sounds like the same man to me - but please check out Bedfordshire Archives online catalogue where there is further info ...
google ''blas adlib'' and you will see .

You need to email them for and Wills - and 1855ish is about the time Wills were no longer kept locally but the may have a copy in Bedford?

Or have a look through the National Probate records [there are copies in most big libraries and look up HASKINS 1855]

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 07 19:41 BST (UK) »

The link for Bedfordshire Archives search engine is
http://blars.adlibsoft.com/form.html

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline DavidHWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies/suggestions. I've now got a copy of the Springett's book and there is enough details of locations & dates to establish that 'my' Joseph Haskins was indeed the bobbin maker.

blars.adlibsoft.com has some interesting business cards for Robert & his son which helps locate him.

One question: NBI gives Joseph's burial in 1855 & states that he was Moravian. There is a Moravian Church in St. Peter's Street - is there a graveyard? Can anyone tell me if there is a grave I could view?

Thanks
David

Offline Chaskins

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 September 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi! Happy to find your thread on Jospeh and Robert Haskins. Joseph is my 4x great grandfather and I am descended through his son Robert. Through my research they are definitely bead makers, jewellers and bobbin makers - lapidary on the census. Their first apparence on the census in 1841 is pretty illegible but Joseph hails from Shoreditch in Londons East End from around 1779 and I have found that he had a brother William and most likely a brother called Thomas. I found this interesting link https://www.thebirdtree.co.uk/showmedia.php?mediaID=592&medialinkID=985 and I have contacted the author of the website as I am trying to go further back than these three brothers. I wondered who you were descended from and if you had any further information? I’m currently on ancestry.co.uk so if you’d like any other information I have on Joseph and Robert let me know. I’m interested to know where the Haskins line came from (Bristol is a possibility). I have just ordered a copy of Josephs death certificate to see if there is any more information, annoyingly his birth certificate is not available. I look forward to hearing from you.