Author Topic: Big Problem - signing in to Ancestry free access sites  (Read 17984 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Big Problem - signing in to Ancestry free access sites
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 05 August 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
Amazing then how after 20 years of searching I have never subscribed to an internet site.  How on earth have I managed?  I've only asked for a few lookups of census information recently.

Oh yes of course I got it free at my library or LDS centre(in England)

But then I'm a poor pensioner.

Sylviaann

Hi Sylviann

My local LDS centre (in Australia) had the St Caths indexes on microfilm. I once spent about 3 hours looking for 1 family. Their name began with M & they were invariably at the end of each film. In 3 hours with manual wind/rewind I think I got through about 15 years. The films were shared between a couple of centres & if memory is correct it cost me $2.50 each time I used them - I certainly didn't object to paying the money to support the centre - but ancestry is definitely cheaper & somewhat faster  :)  :)  As with most things in my life - things change & eventually one embraces the technology

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Monday 06 August 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
Oh yes I'm sorry it will be cheaper in Australia then.

I went every week for about 7 years to my local LDS and yes the names are always at the end of the reel (microfilm here)

I did also manage to get back to 1670 by looking at the films of parish registers.  The BDM was free but the film cost a very small amount to hire.

Here in England we can also access BDM at our public libraries, free.

Of course it goes without saying that I started before anything was on the internet so there was no alternative.

Any BDM I want now I can get from Freebmd so I definately won't be subcribing to ancestry.  Everyone else is welcome to it.

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline pjaj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 06 August 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
I got my free 6 months subscription to Ancestry.co.uk through the purchase of the latest version of Family Tree Maker, and they work together pretty well. However I doubt that I will be renewing when it runs out - too expensive. The slight downside to the subscription is that it is only for the UK records, many of the US records are not included, but still shown, as locked, in the FTM search results. Fortunately for me I'm not interested in them.

Now, as the devil's advocate I will make a small defense of Ancestry.co.uk. If you go to the individual census year search pages (Ancestrry.co.uk/census > select a year) you can do wild card searches, even to the extent of getting EVERYONE (don't enter a name) in a parish / town or even county! (about 300,000 people in Essex in 1841 is a bit of overkill). I don't think this is possible on any other census site I've come across, but then I don't subscribe to any others.
Gooch and Semmens in Essex (pre 1870) and London (post 1850)
Ayling and Tilley in London
Williams in Newcastle-u-Lyme (pre 1830) and later in Birmingham
Thomas and White in Middlesex (pre 1840)
Patton, Finlay, Shaw and Dunbar in Ballymena area

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 06 August 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Oh yes I'm sorry it will be cheaper in Australia then.

I went every week for about 7 years to my local LDS and yes the names are always at the end of the reel (microfilm here)

Sylviaann

For some years in the 1980/90s my Mum went every 2 weeks (I think her local centre was only open once a fortnight). They had some type of a computer she used to use & I remember she told me everything took such a long time because she kept forgetting to press the "return" key & just waited for something to happen  :)  It wasn't until some years later that I benefited from her patience  :)  :)

I doubt that all centres in Australia  charge in a similar fashion - and many did have fiche rather than film. It was probably a method for raising some much needed funds for more resources & as said I didn't mind paying. I do think it would have taken me forever to find all that I have found by using ancestry, so I don't complain about the subscription

Trish.

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
can't view ancestry bmds??
« Reply #121 on: Monday 06 August 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
is ancestry charging to view bmds now aswell?   :-\
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: can't view ancestry bmds??
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 00:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, apart from the partial free bmds.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk