Author Topic: "Capitalist" as an occupation?  (Read 9153 times)

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
"Capitalist" as an occupation?
« on: Tuesday 14 December 04 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I just found out one of my ancestors (Born in Ire.) listed his occupation as "Capitalist" in the 1900 census in N.Y. where he then lived.  Anyone have any idea what he ment by this?  At other times he is listed as being a Laborer or store clerk.  He was almost 60 when he finally says he is a "Capitalist"   Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: "Capitalist" as an occupation?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 21:30 GMT (UK) »
http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/c.html

Kind of a banker.  Someone who provides capital or invests in other firms/people.

All the best,
pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 22:18 GMT (UK) »
 The same sort of meaning below, an investor:

CAPITALIST
An investor who provided private capital or wealth for the production and distribution of goods.

http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/trades.html

:)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 December 04 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  When I think of a capitalist I think of it in a political way.  I guess by the time he was that age he had enough money to invest/loan but it is odd that at the same time he rented instead of owned a house.  In 1886 he was working in a resturant and living in an apt.. Of course he may have Owned the resturant, I'll have to see if I can find that out. He moved between 2 different cities in 2 different states often. May have been a restless person for whom things never really worked out so kept trying something new.   Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline historyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Teaching the Past to the Present
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Just came across "capitalist" listed as an occupation for the first time today, and visited the official census website to read up on the appropriate interpretation (it's amazing how much easier it is to find answers in 2018 compared to 2004 when this question first posted!).

According to the Feds, census takers were to report as "capitalists" not only people who received income primarily generated by rental property or loans, but also from stocks, bonds, or other investments. For the official explanation of occupations listed on the 1870-1900 censuses, check out:

https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1900/occupations/occupations-part-5.pdf

Cheers,
Historyn
Searching a WIDE assortment of names of families whose female relatives attended the Bar Convent school in York during the 18th-19th centuries. Please contact me if you have catholic relatives who might have attended.