Author Topic: Locations in Old Radford  (Read 15105 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Locations in Old Radford
« on: Saturday 11 August 07 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have found a photograph in my late father's possessions of a school in Nottingham, which I believe he and his brothers attended as children during the 1920s. He has called it Forster Street School but the name on the building looks like Sidney Pearson Hill Primary School. I also have some photographs of Citadel Street (which is where I think his family lived) during a period of re-development and also of a shop on Monument Street called Edmonds and R**don (partially obstructed by a lamp post) Electrical Contractors 704879. The school looks as if it is derelict and about to be demolished and I would be interested to find out when these photos could have been taken (probably on a return visit to the area) and whether Sidney Pearson Hill is a place name or some local worthy.

On the 1901 census, my father's family is living in Landseer Street. Old Radford, which no longer exists, probably re-named. In the census, it follows on from Coleridge Street, which I have found on a street map of the area. Any information on these places would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Locations in Old Radford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 07 23:13 BST (UK) »
Here's a map that shows Landseer Street, just south of Coleridge Street.  Citadel Street and Forster Street are there as well.  There's a school at the bottom (across Ilkeston Road) but don't know name.  This map is circa 1960.

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 07 06:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you - that is really helpful. My father lost contact with his brother and found him through an appeal on one of the Nottingham radio stations. They had a reunion in the late 70s early 80s and I expect the photographs could have been taken then and copies made for his other brother, who had also moved away from Nottingham.
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 07 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnford

There was a council school on Forster Street between Bramcote Street and Denman Street in 1914. It was run by H A Dickinson, Misses Sarah Abbot and L Proctor.

The school on the corner of Ilkeston Road and Radford Blvd opposite All Souls Church was Radford Blvd council school.

Ref: Wright's Directory of Nottingham, 1913-14 available at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pageviewer.asp?fn=0000b297.tif&dn=NGL17014tif&zoom=s

Useful photos of the area are available at http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/ including the Radford Blvd council school in the 1920s.

A useful publication is 'Radford with Hyson Green and The Forest on old picture postcards' Grenville Jennings, Yesterdays Nottingham series no 28, ISBN 0 946245 83 5, £3.50p

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 07 06:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that. I will follow up on those sources.

Clive

Offline CrazyKen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 August 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I thought I'd hopefully add a little back ground to the area for you.

I was "born and bred" in Radford, I lived there from 1957 until 1979 when our house, on Norwood Road was demolished during the re-development program.
I attended Forster Street Infants and Junior school, the school name was changed to Sir Sidney Pearson Hill Primary School (a former old boy and Nottingham Lord Mayor), I think in or around 1965 - 6 - I left for secondary school in 1968.

You can find many images at this website

http://www.riffdesign.co.uk/radford/index.htm

Hope this helps. if you need any more information, just ask.

Regards

Ken

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Welcome to rootschat, and thanks very much for the site.
My husbands' ancestor, Benjamin Phillip Richards, managed the public baths on Thackeray Street, way back in the 1890s and early 1900s, so it was great to see a photo on Chris Richards' site.
Thank you + hope you enjoy rootschat as much as I do.
Paulene. :)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken - I have sent a sample photo to the site to see if it can be used. I have eight photos taken by my father in the 1980s when large scale demolition of the area seemed to be taking place. My great grandfather (Alfred John Jones) ran a tailor's business in Radford Boulevard up until at least 1916 but I think the family may have moved out of the area in the 1930s. Unfortunately, they have disappeared from the radar and it is very difficult to track down Joneses.

Clive