Author Topic: School in Oldfield, Dunham Massey  (Read 15676 times)

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: School in Oldfield, Dunham Massey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver, Peter and Heather

In said book by Frank Bamford there is only a snippet of information about Harefield House.  I quote

.... A narrow lane still runs from the rear of the site down to Woodville Road.  This appears to be one of the legacies of Sigismund Schloss, who bought more land during the 1860s so that his garden became quite extensive.  There was another man called Reuben Levi, a manufacturing clothier, who in 1861 lived with his wife, four children and three servants just round the corner from Beechthorpe in Bowdon Road at a house called Beech Bank, who was also somewhat acquisitive as far as land was concerend.  Between then, Schloss and Levi owned most of the land behind the first three houses on St. Margaret's Road right down to Woodville Road.  In an 1878 directory it is recorded that one Daniel Schloss, possibly a son of Sigismund, lived at Harefield Housewhich seems actually to have been sited on Woodville Road and may well have been built earlier, even  by 1850.  In the 1881 Census he is described as a South  American merchant with four children and five servants .....

I have a map with Harefield House on it. If you would like to see a copy Reiver please PM me with your email address.

Seamon's Moss School was built in 1867 founded by Thomas Walton gent.

Kind regards
Su

Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Tickcomms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 February 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   Thomas Walton who died 06/02/1757 and is referred to as the salt master was a distant relative of mine I'd be grateful if anyone has any information on him.
Thanks
Phil

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 February 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil
I have no family connection with Thomas Walton but if you want to know a little bit more about him I may be able to help.  Are you familiar with the locality round about Dunham at all?

Reiver

Offline Tickcomms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 February 16 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver
             I have visited Warburton old church a couple of times trying to locate the grave of my Gt Grandmother Mary All Walton and am aware of the Dunham Massey Estate.
Regards
Phil

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I do know that Thomas Walton lived at what is now Manor House Farm in (Dunham) Woodhouses.
This is in the Parish of Bowdon.   You may find family events in that parish.   May I suggest you look at the website for Bowdon Church  www.bowdonchurch.org   Go to Enter Full Website, click on Our Church.   At the bottom is a section Archives and Memorials which may prove of interest.

Reiver

Offline Tickcomms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 February 16 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver
            Thanks for the link to St Mary's, Bowdon unfortunately I can only see the memorial to Roger Grey. I have tried using different browsers but cannot see anything else. If I am missing something I'd be grateful if you could send me the link.
Thanks
Phil

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 February 16 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Reiver and Phil - I would be interested to know if you have any Collins family from Dunham in your familytree - my direct ancestors were
Abraham Collins 1769
Abraham Collins 1796 - he married Martha Haslam
- Martha Collins b 1824
I have many more Collins in my tree - but the above are my direct ancestors ...
just a shot in the dark - you never know ....same village so any connections ?? :)
I have visited there graves in the little old St Werburghs church about 8 years ago ....a very small quaint church .
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tickcomms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 February 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garstonite
                   I am not aware of any Collins members in my family tree.
Sorry
Phil

Offline Tickcomms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 February 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver
            I spoken to Derek at St Mary's and other than confirm date of Thomas's funeral he has no other information. He said there was no memorial for him either within or outside the church. His will states his wife was called Mary and a pre deceased daughter called Mary (married Pickering?) and brother George. I can't find any birth or marriage records for him in the area. Did he originate from another county? Was he self made or inherited his wealth? I am intrigued.
Phil