Author Topic: Missing children  (Read 21590 times)

Offline NA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing children
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be so long in replying.
 Have tried to get some additional info from my mother Catherine, Matilda's daughter. As a child she remembers having a photo of her uncle David in uniform, She believes Hannah ,who was a nurse went to USA .  Her married name was Boone and she visited NI  with her daughter in the 1940s. As to other siblings, Pollock relations lived in Bangor and another relation lived in Ballinasloe.
Look forward to any other info you may have.
agnew,collins,hughes

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the Collins family of Ballylintagh in Aghadowey if anyone has any information. 

I am looking for relatives of John Collins and Eliza (Crawford?) who were married around 1840 or so and whose children include John, James, Martha, Margaret and Sarah.  They were possibly presbyterians and may be related to the Collins families in Knockaduff townland in Griffith.  At least one of the children is buried in Ballylintagh Prebyterian churchyard but there is no headstone.

Aghadowey - do you know who your Samuel Collins's father was and if, like his first wife, he came from the Aghadowey area?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Collins from Sistrakeel near Ballykelly and Collin were there from early on so I don't think there's any connection to any Aghadowey ones.

1831 census- Knockaduff: Jas Collans 4 males 7 females (all Presbyterian)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,
                  I had a look at the Derryork Griffiths Revision Books today and found in VAL12B/31/14D
that Samuel Collins took the holding labelled 9a on the Griffith sheets in 1904. He also shared a portion of the mountain with other landholders. In 1912 the holdings passed to David P Collins. He retained the holdings until 1923 when they passed to Samuel Cartwright.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 April 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for making a note of those details for me. Samuel Collins died June 1910 and from what I was told he'd come to Derryork not that long before. 

Offline Derryork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Collins was my great-grandfather and his daughter, Matilda Collins was my grandmother.  You mentioned in one your earlier posts that you have an old photo of their house at Derryork. I would love to see that if that was possible.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Lovely surprise to hear from you and would love to exchange family details. After you've made 3 posts you can use PM (personal message) system and I can arrange to send you a copy of the Derryork house (still looks much the same).

Offline Derryork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.  My grandmother was the youngest of the family.  She married Gus Hughes in 1913 and spend the rest of her life in Belfast.  Two of her daughters and one son are still alive.  I have a interesting short story written by the husband (my uncle) of one of the daughters (my aunt) about Matilda Collins and growing up in Drumsurn. I could scan it and send it to you - fair exchange for the photo!

Offline NA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Derryork  you must be my cousin. We have a photo of the house taken a few years ago
agnew,collins,hughes