Author Topic: Paynes of East Grinstead  (Read 35907 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Paynes of East Grinstead
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 09:12 GMT (UK) »
does that need to go on the 'free on the web thread'?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 09:47 GMT (UK) »
If its not been replaced from the original thread then yes, its a really useful website and good thinking Toni  :D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline pjgirt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Hope I can join this thread.

I have Paine/Paynes from Lingfield Surrey who must be related to the East Grinstead Families.

Richard Pain m Elizabeth White 22 June 1690 in Lingfield, but I can't find any trace of him before that, I'm sure he crossed the county border.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Pauline

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline and welcome

My Paynes were in Lingfield a lot later on but seemed to cross the border from East Grinstead and West Hoathly, I've only got back to 1700, they may have come from Lingfield in the first place.  So it is worth checking both those places too.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Of course not forgetting that Lingfield is very close to the border with Kent also and they may have gone that way - Edenbridge for instance or Marsh Green which is literally down the road from Lingfield is in Kent.

Lingfield is a beautiful village with a lovely church and a fantastic library but a pain to research  ::) ::)

Kerry

Offline sarahmlife

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Ellen May Buckland nee Ware
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi pauline :),

The payne families from east grinstead, Lingfield, kent etc are quite interesting to research, I think there are 30 diffrent payne/pain/paine familys overall, I've been researching my paynes for 3 years now, Ive also got back to 1700, my lot come from East Grinstead and before that from Chichester. My 2 x great granddad was Edward Payne who was born in East Grinstead in 1815 he married a Elizabeth Young born 1813 in Horne Surrey, which is bout a mile up the road from Lingfield, their lived in Crowhurst near Lingfield from 1841 to bout 1861 at the brickfields there, Edward was a Brickmaker, and when the family moved down to Warlingham surrey, with my great granddad Eli Payne, edward owned two brickfields in Warlingham and Eli Carried it on afterward his dad died.

Sarahx
The paynes of East Grinstead(Sussex),Lingfield(Surrey), Warlingham(Surrey) and Chichester(Sussex), The Wares of Lambeth (London) and Croydon(Surrey), The Bucklands of Croydon(Surrey),the Bishops of Lingfield,(surrey) and Brighton(Sussex),The Thrussells of Kings walden and st Paul's Walden(Hertfordshire),Lanhams of Felstead Essex and Yorkshire, Tuxworths of Lincolnshire, French's ,and many more.......................

Census Infromation Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Hope you are well!

Interesting that, because my Paynes were brickmakers. 

Kerry

Offline sarahmlife

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Ellen May Buckland nee Ware
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hey honey :),

Yer I think alot of the payne families were brickmakers.  Im not too bad at the mo. :).

Sarahx
The paynes of East Grinstead(Sussex),Lingfield(Surrey), Warlingham(Surrey) and Chichester(Sussex), The Wares of Lambeth (London) and Croydon(Surrey), The Bucklands of Croydon(Surrey),the Bishops of Lingfield,(surrey) and Brighton(Sussex),The Thrussells of Kings walden and st Paul's Walden(Hertfordshire),Lanhams of Felstead Essex and Yorkshire, Tuxworths of Lincolnshire, French's ,and many more.......................

Census Infromation Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
how confusing Crowhurst nr Battle and Crowhurst nr Edenbridge  ::)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive