Author Topic: Coleman of Long Clawson 1841, 51 or 61  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
Re: Coleman of Long Clawson 1841, 51 or 61
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 December 04 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Greeting's Again.....

See there's a " Betsy Stokes" as a servant with the 80 yr old Farmer (Thurman )
So you maybe on the right track?

I've had a look on the 1861. Census but can't find any Coleman's in the Long Clawson Area.
There was a William Coleman.23. as a lodger in the City of Leicester ( 14, Britannia St.) Wood Sawyer. Born Walton Leicestershire.
If Walton is Walton -on-the-Wolds then it's only 16.5 miles apart from Long Clawson.....
As the occupation of Father was a Farmer then it's possible it is him ? Travelled about with farm work ?
MIKE.
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline Jarv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 December 04 15:14 GMT (UK) »
He may be a couple of years too old but then you can never tell. My granddad says that his father John and grandfather William owned a fair bit of land and I've seen them mentioned as executors of various wills so they may have got around? It is odd that they are in the 1841, 51 and 71 census but not the 1861?

There is a Long Clawson site which contains a lot of old marriage records and I'm surprised to have only found two of the Coleman daughters weddings recorded. I was hoping to find wedding records to see maiden names, etc.

Thank you again

Offline LindaFromOz

• RootsChat Senior
  • IN QUEST OF THE UNKNOWN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 December 04 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jarv

Your family on the 1861 census
RG9/2302 folio 59 page 16 Clawson (East)
William Coleman head mar 52 farmr of 345 ac emp 12men and 3 boys b. Grendon Warwickshire
Ann wife mar 44 b. Hose Leics
John J son unmar 22 b. Clawson
William son unmar 19 b. Clawson
Edward son unmar 17 b. Clawson
Thomas B son 13 b. Clawson
Ann dau 11 b. Clawson
Sarah K or R dau 6 b. Clawson
Thomas E Harris visitor unmar 19 b. Quorndon
There was also 4 servants in the household.

All the best
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jarv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 December 04 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I have found out bits but now I'm stuck! I have found a will extract mentioning William Coleman in 1845 who I belive to be my great, great, great, great grandfather. It is from here http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/doclist.asp?nb=0&nbKey=5&com=1&keyword=coleman&properties=0601
and as follows:

"FILE - Copy of Will - ref.  DE322/22/3  - date: Dated 13th July 1845; Proved 15th March 1849

[from Scope and Content] 1) All messuages, lands etc. in Hurloy in Parish of Kingsbury (Warw) to William Cooper (bailiff to late Wm. P. Inge esq of Thorpe, Co. Staffs) for his life, & after that to William Coleman (2nd son of William Coleman of Long Claws

[from Scope and Content] 5) All his real estate in Long Clawson, & all his personal estate to William Coleman (son of Edward Coleman of Long Clawson) but charged with payment of debts & legacies the annuity;

[from Scope and Content] 6) William Coleman appointed sole Executor;"

This is from 1845, in 1841 and 1851 there was only one William Coleman in Long Clawson but it states 2nd son of William and also "son of Edward". I initially thought that William referenced as 2nd son of William was my great, great, great grandfather but he was born in 1842 so a bit young to be mentioned in wills maybe? Especially when his Dad was around?

I need to know who the William Coleman and Edward Coleman were? Please help!

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 January 05 21:14 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)

Sarah Edgsom 26  Leicestershire, England Servant  Clawson  Leicestershire   

Just noticed on the 1871 Census, extract above, in the house of your ancestor, there was Sarah Edgson, one of mine.

You can see the EDGSONS on my website

www.annieg.fsnet.co.uk

:) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 January 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi again Jarv,

Here are two images of Long Clawson you might like

Village Map
Church of St Remigius

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Jarv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 January 05 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - you've traced your family a long way back, I'm very jealous!

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 January 19 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I am playing catch up with this thread and there are some points posted here by different contributors that I would like to comment on:
" THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE" earlier in this thread, mentions the 1845 Will of Farmer "Gentleman" John Thurman died 1849 age 95 years. He was a relative of mine albeit I am not a direct decedent, indeed his obituary seen in a couple of newspapers described him as a "lifelong bachelor."
John Thurman owned land and buildings in different parts of Leicestershire and Wawickshire.
He left all his land and buildings to different members of the Coleman family, including the farmhouse now a hotel; Elms Farm Hotel and you can stay in the Thurman room there.
John Thurman lived here at time of 1841 Census and when he made his will in 1845 leaving Elms Farm to William Coleman another local farmer. He also owned land and buildings in Kingsbury, Warwickshire leaving this to William Cooper and another William Coleman. There was more land at Ratcliffe Culey (Leics) and at Grendon, Warwickshire left to Godson, John Thurwan Coleman born 1838 age 11 in 1849, who was to “Take the name Thurman”.                     
Now the farmhouse is known as Elms Farm Hotel 52 East End Long Clawson Leicestershire LE14 4NG
John Thurman was on Register of Voters in 1846 for the parish or Township of Hickling “Place of Abode House and Land Place of Abode Stonesby, Leicestershire.
The Coleman's inherited all land and buildings and a few Thurman's received money after John's death in 1849, including the children of my great, great, great grandfather Richard Thurman (born Appleby Magna) but had been working and living at Merrivale Hall (Nr Atherstone, Wawickshire) for the Dugdale family.
Stonesby is about 9 miles from Long Clawson and the Stonesby freehold house and land is not covered by his 1845 Will.

I am interested to know if there was an earlier generation marriage between Coleman - Thurman family given that John Thurman was a bachelor?
I found this which I cannot verrify with any marriage records?
Extract from “VILLAGE LIFE IN THE VALE OF BELVOIR. Social and Economic Change; 1851 – 1881.”     By P. Anne Bosworth mentions that “William Coleman, father and son owned a substantial farm; their Leicestershire holding in 1874 was recorded as 320 acres. John Wilson records that their property was the result of the amalgamation by marriage of the earlier Thurman and Coleman estates

Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 January 19 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Farmer & Gent John Thurman. The 1841 Census gives his age as 80 - 84, whereas his headstone at St Remigius Churchyard Long Clawson, Melton Borough, Leicestershire, gives his age at death in 1849 as 95 years.
Finding age discrepancies in parish and census records checked throughout an ancestors lifetime seems normal. I believe this John Thurman was born in Polesworth, Warwickshire in 1755 so his real age at death was likely about 94 years. BTW one obituary I found gave his age as 96 years!
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY HE LEFT ALL HIS LAND AND PROPERTY TO MEMBERS OF THE COLEMAN FAMILY AND ONLY A BIT OF MONEY TO SOME THURMAN'S (CHILDREN OF DECEASED NEPHEWS & NIECES AND GREAT NIECES & NEPHEWS). i Cannot find any records of marriage between Thurman's and Coleman's in earlier generations?     
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw