Author Topic: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool  (Read 65510 times)

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Don,
I realise that Mc and Mac were used interchangably, just thought it was curious that in the Fodderty parish there are 394 McKenzie's and only 5 MacKenzie's in the 1841 census, but probably it's nothing.

In looking for other children I was wondering if any family names might turn up, but it's likely to be a long shot.
Cheers
Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 August 07 03:02 BST (UK) »
Further to this, have just tracked down John and Ann's death certificates... The wonders of the internet!

Ann MacKenzie (nee McKay) b. 4 July 1786, Fodderty. d. 22 Sep 1856. Father = George McKay (Gardner), Mother = Elizabeth Martin.

John MacKenzie. b. c1780, Lochbroom. d. 13 June 1858. Father = John MacKenzie (Fisher), Mother = Janet Stewart. Informant was John McKenzie (son) who we know nothing about, but there is a few gaps between dates of known children so it could be possible.

Does that help connect up with anyone else's information?

Cheers
Darryl

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 September 07 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya Daryl et al,

sorry to be a bit slow replying, hectic week off-line,...

Looks like you now have three sons of a John MK at Lochbroom (mothers names are not in the Lochbroom O.P.R. that period), their birth order, and approx birth years, from that it might be possible to pick out your bunch.

Placing the family at Ullapool in family records or even records does not neccesarly mean that is where they specifically lived; it was the largest community and people living in the smaller surrounding places of only a few households would later tell people they were from "Ullapool". Similar today as "Gadget" can probably attest people living in small communities on the Coigach peninsula say they are from "Achiltibuie".

That said, your John, son of John MacKenzie (Fisher) and Janet Stewart, was probably not born in Ullapool as 1780 predates founding of the village, and Stewarts were thin on the ground at Ullapool.

My guess is your bunch were from Isle Martin or more likely 1780 period at Badenscallie in Coigach. At the bottom of the Badenscallie file on my website I include the following.

All the best,

Donald.

Coigach Stewarts

In February 1999 John MacLeod (CONTACT INFO) who has ancestors at Badenscallie, emailed me the following information, it is reinforced by a letter from Jean Stewart of Inverness to Gwen Smith (CONTACT INFO) of Tasmania in 1984. Jean said three sons from Appin had to flee west to the region which is now Ullapool. I think the Stewart refugees are also mentionned in the book "Peoples and Settlement in North-West Ross" edited by John R. Baldwin in 1994 (SOURCE INFO).

John MacLeod wrote;

Various families came into the area following the '45, including the Stewarts, a party of whom (women included!) escaped from the battlefield of Culloden and fled north through the hills until they reached the Oykel valley at Tutim. There one of the women is buried in the graveyard above the road. The party turned West and eventually settled in Coigach. Originally from the Appin area, all the Stewarts in Coigach are descended from those settlers.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 September 07 04:34 BST (UK) »
Something else occured to me...

Daryl wrote:

Given the gap between the marriage and first child recorded in Fodderty, it's possible the family may have moved elsewhere between the marriage and Catherine's birth.

The couple may have both been at Lochbroom in 1808 at time of the marriage. It was custom then for the wedding to be registered in both bride and groom's Parishes, and the 1808 Lochbroom Register no longer survives.

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 September 07 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your insights Donald.
Cheers
Darryl

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 September 07 10:05 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 Uray census aged 44 my grt grt  grandfather John Mackenzie declares he was born in Fodderty  yet his parents Alexander Mackenzie1761-1843 and Janet Robertson 1770c-1852 farmed Teanagairn in the northern shore of the Black Isle and Alexander was said to have been born there in 1761.

Have been watching this story develope and hesitantly dip my toe in these waters as I'm having difficulty tying down the birthdate of
John Mackenzie who held the Tarradale Post Office/drapery at Muir of Ord in the parish of Urray.He may be John Robertson Mackenzie b 21 Nov 1811 which does not agree with the census age.

I managed to find a descendant of his sister Margaret now in her 80s who said that when they came North they also visited relations at the Heights of Auchterneed.

I have quite a bit on these Mackenzies but if unrelated to our lister I don't want to confuse the issue further !

Fransmoi.

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 September 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Fransmoi,
It doesn't sound like a direct connection between our John MacKenzies, but my father has been doing some research in Scotland and found that descendants of our John MacKenzie III (thats my gg-grandfather's brother) married into another MacKenzie family in the Garve region. I'll know more when he gets back to New Zealand in a few weeks (or he may even see this post). Possibly there's a connection there.

Are you (or do you know of) any direct male descendants of your John MacKenzie? There's a MacKenzie DNA project that you can join and submit DNA to that may turn up something, although it's all based on male DNA so that's why you need a direct male descendant.

On the other hand, my fathers maternal grandmother was a Robertson that I presume was from the Black Isle, she married Kenneth Grigor and they live in the Cullicudden area. I don't know very much about that particular branch though at this stage. Do you have much on your Robertsons?

Cheers
Darryl

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 September 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
Alexander Mackenzie (b 1761 d 6 Sep 1843 ) married Janet Robertson (b1770c  d 11 Jul 1852)

Janet's brother was Colin Robertson b1773c died 1854 at Duncanston not far from Teanagairn.  If that had been Colin's father's before him it is possible Janet was born there. All just a guess so far.

In the 1841 census Janet is ticked as born in the County but her husband is not.
Records for these families are hard to find.Not even a marriage for Janet and Alexander.

Their son Murdo married Elizabeth Ross b Cullicudden 1830. John had 2 wives
Mary Mackenzie and Ann Henderson .

My grt grandfather Alexander(1844-90) was widowed young in  Chelsea,
London and his daughter bonded with his sister so he went out to South Africa after 1880 and married again there an Annie Maud Butler in Cape town.
They had a son Douglas Alexander Mackenzie in 1899 who was but a year old when his daddy died.

It's taken decades but I traced Douglas'  banking career ,marriage, children, death in Durban in 1953 and now his grandchildren but despite all attempts I've been unable to make contact especially as they have males in that line.

Until we hear more from your line I will hold fast lest I muddle the issue !

Fransmoi - ( female !)

1 Feb 2010

Thanks to Rootschat I have made contact through their family solicitor named on a death notice.The family are coming to visit in June so the line comes full circle again !
Fransmoi
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 October 07 00:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry Fransmoi, I wasn't sure whether you were male or female. Fransmoi isn't a very common name around here.  :-[

A quick search on the IGI at familysearch.org gives 2 marriages for a Janet Robertson and Alexander MacKenzie that might be possibilities for you, one in 1796 and one 1811. Both are in the Urquhart and Logie Wester (ULW) Parish which includes Duncanston. When was Murdo born? I found a Murdoch MacKenzie born to these parents in 1806 with a sister Janet born in 1808. There are a number of John MacKenzie's born in Fodderty with father = Alexander; none of them have the mothers name listed. Birth dates are 1800, 1801, 1804, 1809, 1810. Fodderty isn't terribly far from the Black Isle and the ULW parish

How certain are your approximate birth dates for Colin and Janet?

Again in the ULW Parish there was a Colin born 1779 and Janet in 1768 with parents Colin Robertson and Janet McCrae. This was the only pairing I could find with the same parents around this time on the IGI, but records are getting pretty scarce going back that far.

In the same batch number (c110842), theres a number of other children with the same parents

Robert 1760 (mothers maiden name spelt McRae, which may or may not be relevant. Quite a bit earlier than the rest)
Janet 1768
William 1773
Mary 1776
Isobel 1778
Colin 1779
Thomas 1784

Do any of these tie in with other Robertsons you know of?

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Darryl