Author Topic: Armchair genealogy  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Armchair genealogy
« on: Wednesday 15 December 04 22:52 GMT (UK) »
News item in Times today:
 'THE entire collection of the world’s books, scholarly works and treasured manuscripts will soon form a vast online library free to anyone with a home computer, experts said yesterday, after a revolutionary move announced by Google, the internet search service. '

If this can be achieved with books maybe all genealogical records can be online too.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 December 04 23:05 GMT (UK) »
 ::)  One day, perhaps.

ps don't hold your breath  :P

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 04 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I heard this on public radio today!!! I believe!!  From what I heard, they will be scanning in books.  They emphasized on the show especially rare books that cannot be touched by the human hand.  The show said it is an effort to make  materials available to everyone in any place.  What a wonderful concept.  The con was that librarians were complaining that they are an invaluable resource that cannot be duplicated by the internet.  I must agree on that point.  A good librarian is worth their weight in gold!!
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 04 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if we have a vested interest here ;)

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 04 16:08 GMT (UK) »
OK, so they are going to actually put online every version of the Bible in every language it has been translated into. They'll NEVER be able to do that, let alone every written document ever.

I think Google are trying to push up their share price for their subsequent flotation on stock markets. Oh, yes, and will they own the copyright to all these scanned images???

VESTED INTEREST ABSOLUTELY!!!!
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline HannahJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 04 19:01 GMT (UK) »
On a related subject....

Project Gutenburg (http://www.gutenberg.org/) has over 13000 books (mainly out-of-copyright period) available free online - although not necessarily with images of the original.  Well worth a browse.

Cheers,

Hannah
Looking for:
Baines - Lancaster; Bainbridge - Westmorland & Lancaster; Bodiam - Hollingbourne, Kent; Edmondson - West Riding / Lancashire border; Faraday - all West Riding; Pankhurst - East & West Farleigh, Kent; Parker - Giggleswick, West Riding; Waller & Redmayne - Ingleton, West Riding
and others...