Author Topic: "Chinwin" help please  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Chinwin" help please
« on: Saturday 18 August 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
Looking for an obituary in the 1919 editions of the Flintshire Observer.
I came across a report of a Canadian Hudson Bay Company's Northern Arctic Expedition which sailed from Liverpool. I was amazed to read my G grandmothers brother was part of the crew. It said it was his first job since demobilisation and during the war he was quatermaster of the naval transport "Chinwin"(Don't know if thats a missprint I goggled it but came up with nothing) carrying shells to France, and which was torpedoed.

Any help please, where I might find more information on the expedition or the Chinwin.

Paul.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: "Chinwin" help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 07 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, I'm not sure if this will help, but there is an image of a ship called the Chindwin here at www.photoship.co.uk :

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery%20A-C/C/slides/Chindwin-01.html

Click the RH button and you get another image
regards
Margaret :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Chinwin" help please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 07 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret, thanks very much for that I'll see if I can find anything on the "Chindwin"
On my first post I said it was my g-grandmothers brother, in fact it was her nephew, another case of to many Johns.
Thanks again Margaret.

Paul